Chapter Two: Seventeen Hours✔️

Witchcraft by Bohnes

Belle was one hour into a ninety minute class when she got the call. She didn't cry like she thought she would if something like this happened, but was actually eerily calm. She couldn't feel anything- she was on autopilot. Excuse yourself from the class for a moment, find your supervisor, tell her what happened, nod thankfully when she tells you to get the hell-o out of the studio and go see your brother.

Get in your car, start the ignition, drive to the hospital. Walk across the street after hunting for a place to park, try not to choke on the overwhelming scent of antiseptic and sickness when the freezing air rushes to pull you into the emergency waiting room.

Her parents were already sitting down in a row of chairs, leaning onto each other, but looking as far apart from each other as ever. "What happened?"

"Sit down, chula, it's going to be awhile." Belle's mother looked absolutely exhausted. Her soft, light brown skin hung in bags under her eyes and formed worry lines between her eyebrows that never seemed to go away even when she wasn't frowning as she was now. Her hair was haphazardly thrown into a pony tail, the dark brown strands flying everywhere. "Claude had a seizure. A bad one. He fell out of his chair and hit his head before the nurses could catch him."

Belle felt sick to her stomach and the shock and worry hit her all at once like the demolition of a building- all the floors collapsing in on themselves before anyone had the time to blink. Winded, Belle sat down next to her father and her mother reached across his lap to squeeze her hand. Claude had been prone to seizures since he was ten and the tumor had been diagnosed, so it was nothing new, but Belle knew that if he hit his head during one, it could be life threatening.

They waited for hours as others came and went from the emergency room. Belle was getting increasingly agitated with each passing second. Where the hell was her brother and what were they doing with him? It shouldn't be taking this long.

The nurse who came to collect them was extremely nice. Too nice. Nice in that sickeningly sweet way that makes your insides curl with apprehension. Nice in that way that you're about to receive some very bad news, and all anyone can do is smile at you because the words about to come out of their mouth will fuck you up.

The words in this case were: Brain. Hematoma. Coma.

"How the hell did no one catch him?" Belle shrieked. Heads turned their way, but she couldn't give a fuck even if she had any left. Claude had been in and out of this hospital every month since he was little and they thought the migraines he was having were nothing to worry about. They all damn well knew that they needed to keep extra eyes on him when he wasn't in his chair with the seat belts on.

The nurse seemed taken aback by the fire spitting from Belle's mouth. "Th-the nurse examining him left the room to grab Dr. Friesse and-"

"Isn't competent enough to know that she should've had another nurse or assistant in the room and left my little brother unattended? Are you guys that incompetent here? Who the hell gave you jokers your licenses?"

"Rosabelle," Belle's mother hissed, grabbing onto Belle's arm and yanking her back towards her side. "Por favor, haz silencio, chula."

Belle grumbled under breath, but shut her mouth. She was scared and angry and this nurse was just an outlet for her frustrations. Belle's father took over and wrapped her in a hug while Belle's mother spoke with the nurse quietly. His hands soothing rubbed her back and he kissed the top of her head. "He's going to be okay, sweetheart. He's going to be okay."