Chapter Twenty-Eight: Betrayal✔️

I Feel Like I'm Drowning by Two Feet

"We can refer you to an obstetrician if you would like. Dr. Grant has a list of doctors who she wholeheartedly trusts with her patients. You are private pay, so you don't have to pick any specific doctor, unless you want to to try and go through your insurance? We would need your card number and claim details if that's the route you'd like to take. Alternatively, the testing showed your levels being equal to that of a pregnant woman around six weeks of gestation, so if you are wanting to discuss your other options, we can make another appointment for you to consult with-"

The phone dropped from Belle's hand as her entire arm began shaking, her fingers unable to grip the rubber case any longer. Marnie caught it mid air, blurring around Belle at the speed of light to make sure it didn't hit the ground. "Belle, what the hell?"

It didn't occur to Belle that she had stopped breathing entirely until she tried to open her mouth and a panicked rush of air rammed down her throat. She wheezed, choking on the words she couldn't form as she tried desperately to catch a breath. Her heart jackhammered away in her chest, threatening to hop up into her throat as she doubled over, the shock literally sending her to the floor.

"Belle!" Marnie caught her, but Belle's body was determined to go down one way or another, so the demon was forced down with her as her entire body went lax.

"Belle," Marnie tried again, shaking her shoulders to try and get her to snap out of it. "Hey! Belle I need you to take a deep breath, you're hyperventilating."

Belle knew what she needed to do, but her body didn't want to. She could see stars and colorful dots spotting her vision as her body trembled in Marnie's arms, her chest heaving with nonexistent breaths, her wheezing reaching a high octave as her brain began loosing oxygen.

"Oh, Iblis," Marnie said, her voice as shaky as Belle was. She knew she was freaking Marnie out, but she couldn't stop, with only one thought clear as day ringing throughout her mind, even louder than the panic in her veins.

Not really knowing what to do, Marnie held onto her, rubbing her back gently as her breaths came spluttering back, her tensed muscles relaxing one by one until she could take a proper breath. It had been years since Belle had had a panic attack this bad, but by concentrating on Marnie's hand on her back, she was able to slowly climb back down.

"Belle, are you alright? Look at me for a second."

Belle slapped Marnie's hands away, trying to get away in her exhausted state. Marnie grabbed her hands with a supernatural force that all but commanded her to freeze. "Belle! What's wrong with you?"

"Did...did you lie to me?" Belle cried, her voice barely audible.

Marnie looked thoroughly confused. "What are you talking about?" She shook her head and her grip loosened at bit. "Are you okay, Belle? You just fucking dropped to the ground like it was nothing!"

"Did you lie to me?" Belle repeated, tears forming behind her eyes now that her body was no longer trying to shut itself down. A stuttering breath rocked her frame and she tried once again to free herself from Marnie's hold.

"What? What do you mean? I lied to you about what? Belle you're not making any sense."

"The t-test," Belle whispered. "They said...they said it was..."

"Belle, please don't do this again. Breathe."

Belle took a deep breath, trying to force her voice back down from the panicked soprano it was becoming. "Positive," Belle said, her voice still coming out as a squeak.