Chapter Eleven: Confrontation✔️

Daddy Issues - The Neighborhood

"Hey, bud."

"Belle!" Claude squeaked through the phone. "Hi!"

Belle couldn't help the smile on her face. "Hey," she laughed. "What are you up to?"

"Mom and I are gonna go to the movies."

"That sounds like fun. I wish I could go with you guys."

"When are you coming back?"

Belle frowned. "I'm not sure, buddy. I'd have to see when I can see you again."

"I hope you come back soon. I miss you."

"I miss you too. You're my favorite little man, you know."

"I'm not little!"

"You can argue with me when you start your growth spurt, shrimpy."

"I changed my mind, you can stay wherever you are!"

Belle laughed. "Claude!"

Claude made a noise like he was sticking his tongue out at her from the other side of the phone, which Belle was sure that he was. "I'm going to be taller than you- just wait."

"Oh, I don't doubt it," Belle agreed. She was more her mother's height. If Claude got their father's genes, he'd be well on his way to six feet tall by the time he was fifteen.

"Mom's calling me!"

"Oh, okay. Tell her I said hi."

"I will. Love you, sis!"

"Love you too, bud."

Belle could feel a pair of eyes on her as she hung up the phone reluctantly and the scent of burning ash trees stuffed her nose. She did miss her family a lot, but she was glad her parents were having time with a healthy Claude that they didn't have to worry about 24/7. "Do you really have to come up behind people like that? You could give someone a heart attack."

"I'll be sure to announce my presence from now on," Marnie drawled sarcastically. Belle turned around to see the demon sprawled across the top of the couch on her back, looking ridiculously like a lazy cat.

"What are you doing?"

"Bugging you. What's it look like?"

Belle rolled her eyes and set her phone on the counter, digging around in the cabinets for utensils. "You need a hobby."

"I have literally thousands of those. I just like annoying you. Any messages from desperation?"

Belle frowned. She really didn't like the nickname Marnie had assigned Nora. "No, not since I told her that there wouldn't be a future with us."

"Good. I'd really hate to have to break her neck."

"For some reason I doubt that."

"Alright, I would much prefer to kill her, but I don't want to have to deal with your pissy attitude if I do."

"There is exactly zero cause for you to be so damn possessive," Belle grumbled, setting up her ingredients. She was almost sorry she had ever spoken to Marnie about the hundreds of messages Nora had been sending her, that the demon apparently hadn't know about, which really surprised Belle.