Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifts✔️

repercussions by Bea Miller

Marnie refused to take the blindfold off of Belle's eyes. "Come on!" Belle cried impatiently. "Where are we going?"

Marnie shushed her for the fourteenth time that morning. "We really need to work on this lack of patience of yours, mija."

"Marnie," Belle whined. "Seriously?"

"We'll get there eventually."

Belle groaned. "Did you at least put the blue package from under the tree in the back?"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it. What is it anyway?"

"Your Christmas present," Belle mumbled, her mind still running wild trying to predict all the different places Marnie could be dragging her.

"My...Christmas present?"

"You said we were going to be here for a few days, didn't you? I didn't want to not give you your present today."

"Why the hell did you get me a present?"

"Because I wanted to!" Belle could hear rustling behind her and she blindly reached out to her left to smack Marnie.

"Hey!" Marnie cried, obviously out of annoyance rather than pain.

"You're not allowed to open it in here!" Belle protested. "Put it down!"

Marnie laughed and did as Belle told her. "Belle, I told you that we don't celebrate your holidays."

"But you let me put up the tree because I celebrate it right? So you've got to deal with the presents too."

Belle could practically hear Marnie rolling her eyes. "Whatever."

She fidgeted relentlessly in her seat, wishing she could at least look out the widow to see if she recognized their surroundings. "Was the blindfold really necessary?"

"Adds some excitement to things, doesn't it?"

"You are such a pervert."

"And what does that make you, mija?"

"A smaller, cuter, less obvious pervert."

Marnie burst out laughing. "I think that's the first time you've ever admitted it. Why are you so bubbly? Did I slip drugs in your food on accident this morning?"

"That's not a question you should be asking after the fact! And how the hell would you slip drugs in my food on 'accident'!"

"I mistook the purple MDMA pills I have for blueberries. My bad."

"You do not have MDMA anywhere in that apartment, so help me god- er, Iblis."

Marnie snorted. "What the hell is going on with you, Belle?"

"I don't know," Belle laughed. "It's Christmas, I'm full of energy!"

"You're such a child," Marnie chuckled. "You're lucky you're fucking adorable or it would just be plain annoying."

Belle's face flushed and she stuck out her tongue in Marnie's general direction. She lapsed into silence, chewing on the inside of her cheek. Was that the first time Marnie had called her adorable? She leaned to her right and laid her head against the chilled window. It wasn't really cold outside when they had left, so the temperature must be dropping.

"Hey. Belle?"

"Huh?" Belle jolted upright, not realizing she had fallen asleep to the gentle vibration of the car speeding along the road.