Chapter Twenty-Six: Unexpected✔️

What You Wanted by OneRepublic

Erin flitted around her tank, her tail making grand sweeping motions as she propelled from one side to the other, her black hair twisting and spiraling out from her in a majestic display. Her deep cerulean eyes almost shone as bright as the smile on her face.

Belle laughed, relieved that Erin wasn't upset about their mating, like Marnie had believed she would be. The siren finally calmed down enough to swim to the top of her tank, propelling her upper body over the top.

"Are you serious?" Erin asked excitedly, swiping a chunk of wet hair out of her face. "Really?"

"Why would I be joking?"

Erin squealed again and her tail lashed around in the water, stirring up waves. "Yes!"

"Why are you so happy?" Belle asked, unable to hide her smile at her excited friend.

"Because," she started, calming down a bit and looking at Belle with genuine eyes. "All I ever want is for Marnie to be happy. For her to have found that happiness in you...for her to want to cement that happiness by mating you...no matter what, I'm so happy for both of you."

Belle could sense something...almost...sad behind Erin's words, even though the siren was still beaming. Something felt off in her sentence, but Erin was trying her best not to show it.

"I wish I could hug you," Belle told her, "but I can't reach you."

Erin laughed. "You're already set for school, why do you want to get all wet and have to start over?"

"You know...good point," Belle conceded, laughing as well. "Here," she said, reaching up on her tip toes and stretching her hand out towards Erin.

Erin reached down as far as she could, but only their index fingers could reach other, so they made an impromptu hug by hooking them around each other.

Erin giggled at how silly it was. "Is this our thing now? Tiny finger hugs?"

"Tiny finger hugs are the best hugs!" Belle teased.

"Oh, get to school you dork," Erin laughed, shooing Belle out of the room before diving back down into her tank.

Belle grabbed the backpack she had left outside of Erin's room and dragged the bag into the living room. Marnie was sliding eggs off a pan and onto a plate in the kitchen, but she looked up when Belle was near the dining table.

"Is the fish pissed at me too?" Marnie asked sarcastically.

"Don't call her that, you jerk. She's happy about it."

"What?" Marnie raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Marnie: 0; Belle: 2."

"Hey, wait a minute, where'd that second point come from and why am I at zero?"

"You said that Erin would be pissed at us and that Omera wouldn't be angry at me, even though she hates me. Omera was like 100% pissed at me and Erin was about to tip over her tank because she was so happy about it. Your calculations were wrong," Belle said, sticking her tongue out.

Marnie came over with her plate of eggs, toast, and fruit and poked Belle's tongue back in her mouth. "Shut up."

Belle bit the finger in her mouth and Marnie flicked her on the nose. "Ow," Belle whined, wincing at the sharp sting.

"You deserved that one. Why was Erin happy about it?"

"You should have just spoken with her yesterday when we got back. She said all she wanted was for you to be happy after everything that's happened and she's glad you're happy now."