Chapter Four: The Point of No Return✔️

Marnie's theme- A Little Wicked by Valerie Broussard

When Belle had tucked Claude into bed last night, she knew Marnie would be working on her terms of the contract, but still hadn't really expected anything to change. She was proven wildly wrong when she was awoken by her little brother jumping on her stomach.

"Belle! Belle! Belle!"

Belle's eyes shot open and instead of responding, her groggy, sleep ladled brain could only stare at her little brother in confusion. "Claude..?"

"C'mon! You promised we could go to the park today!"

"I did?"

"Uh huh!" Claude climbed off of her and tugged on Belle's covers. She was still frozen looking at him. He was actually walking. Walking. Belle hadn't seen Claude able to walk in months. His skin even looked like it had some kind of color to it now.

Belle fought her way out of the tangle of covers and swept Claude into a tight hug. He cried out playfully and giggled as he tried to push away. "You're killin' me, sis!"

"You'll live," Belle said, trying her hardest not to cry at the double meaning he would never have to remember again.

They were at the park for two hours, well into the afternoon, but Belle couldn't even remember her deal with the Djinni as she ran around playing soccer with Claude and racing him across the monkey bars. Belle stopped to get him an ice cream, and by the time they got back home, he was halfway into the container.

"Did you guys have fun?" Belle's father asked, smiling at the two as they entered the house.

"Yeah! I beat Belle at soccer!"

"Only because you cheated!"

"Trick shots aren't cheats!"

Their father laughed. "Alright, you two. Give me your ice cream, you can finish it after lunch."

"Aw!"

"You've spoiled your lunch enough," their father chastised, taking the cup from Claude.

"Sorry, dad," Belle said sheepishly. "I didn't think about it."

Belle's father waved it off. "You're just too good of a big sister. Do you mind keeping an eye on Claude after lunch? I'm going to drop some off for your mother when I'm finished."

"Sure, dad." Belle stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

"Will you play batman with me?" Claude asked, already pulling games out from under the coffee table.

"Yeah, just hold on a minute, I'm going to get my phone."

"'Kay!"

Belle smiled and ran to her bedroom. Two years ago, she never would have thought she'd be so happy after spending all morning with her little brother, but now she like she were walking on air. Claude was so cheerful and happy and healthy that it felt like her heart itself was smiling.

Belle grabbed her phone and stuck it in the back pocket of her shorts when something made her pause.

The smell of something burning and smoke. A presence behind her. She took a larger breath and the hairs on her arms and the back of her neck stood up. Ash trees.