Piece 4: Talk

It had been a week since you had been given cake and chloroform by Kidnapper #1. Light hadn't been at school the past week, but you had no idea why. Who knows, maybe he's been caught by L but they decided not to broadcast it. Either way, you had been spending the past week like you spend any normal week, going to school, going back home, researching L, sleeping, making homework, researching L- wait, Did I say that one already? O well. It had been a normal week, apart from Ryuga sticking to you. It seems he was in the same class as you and Light, he didn't seem like the type to study law though.

"(Y/N)-san, what made you want to study law?"

Ryuga asked during the lunch break, badly timed, seeing as you were in the process of stuffing your face with strawberries.

"I like detectives and, do you know how they always have useless knowledge about everything, I thought law might come in handy for future references."

You answered as intelligent as you could.

"Why did you decide to study law Ryuga?"

"I noticed I have a terribly strong sense of justice, and thought something might go wrong if I were to let it roam free. So I decided to bind it by the law."

"Wouldn't that just enable you to find loopholes easier?"

You stated, thinking of it as completely obvious. Ryuga gave you a surprised look, and you felt like you had to explain it.

"I mean, if I only know the law states 'Do not murder' I won't kill people. But when I know that you can kill people out of self-defense and all that stuff, I'll be able to kill people without going to jail. Making it easier to dodge the law."

You said. Ryuga looked away slightly and put his thumb to his lip.

"Yes, I see what you mean."

"I wouldn't be surprised if Kira was a law student."

Damnit, you said too much. Ryuga stared at you again.

"Why would he be a student?"

Shit

"E-No T-That's just something I came up with myself, don't mind it."

You tried to clean up your mess. It...worked? He seemed to drop the subject.

"On another note, Light hasn't been showing up for school lately has he?"

He started. Seemingly less freaked out.

"Yea, it's weird, he had perfect attendance before this. What if he eloped with Amane?"

You said jokingly.

"Yes, he might have."

He answered, slightly smiling, slightly serious, you had no idea how but he made that face.

Lunch break had ended and you moved towards your next lesson. English. You didn't really get this subject, the rules and exceptions made no sense. And it was totally useless seeing as English was a language you understood 100%, or at least enough to make a story a few paragraphs long.
The teacher started the lesson.

"Seeing as the presentations are next week, you may work on your projects."

The teacher walked towards you.

"(Y/N)-san, it seems Yagami-kun is on a leave of absence, so you can work with Ryuga."

Ryuga came walking from behind the teacher.

"Nice to work with you."

He sat down and you face palmed slightly.

"This is going to take a long time. Ryuga, can we work on this project at my house later today, I kinda want to finish it before Saturday."

"Agreed, projects like this should be finished before the deadline."

"Good."

You continued working on the project during the lesson, surprisingly, you're not sure if it was actually a surprise but, it seemed Ryuga was fluent in English, which made this project a lot easier.

After school had ended you walked toward your house and walked inside.

"I'm home!"

You yelled as always. And your mother came walking towards you.

"Welcome ho- Ooh, who is this young man?"

"Mom this is Hideki Ryuga, a classmate of mine who is working on a project with me. If you'll let us pass, we need to work on said project."

You started pushing Ryuga forward and halfway up the stairs.

"A-(Y/N)- Wait! We have some cake today, take some upstairs for both of you."

You sighed, but couldn't resist cake.

"My room is the first door on your left, I'll go get us some cake."

You told Ryuga, he just nodded and you went to get some cake.

"This is almost the same as the first time Light-kun came over."

Your mother said.

"It's not though."

Ryuga's not a mass murderer. Hopefully.

You got two plates of cake and went upstairs, immediately walking over to your desk to put down the plates.

"Here is some cake."

You turned to Ryuga to see him staring at your whiteboard. He was looking at every article intently, until he said;

"This is impressive."

He continued studying the articles and the words you had written for cases on which you couldn't find any articles.

"Why is only the Kira case missing?"

"Because a puzzle to which the solution is known is boring."

You said softly.

"Sorry?"

He noted, clearly asking you to speak up.

"No, nothing. I just thought it would be slightly discomforting to have a still on going case on the board, so I decided against it."

You seemed to be getting better at lying.

"I see. I take it you're interested in 'L'?"

"Yes, he's one of the reasons I decided to study law."

You looked up at the letter on top of the board. An L in the Cloister Black type face.

"What I would do to meet him once."

You said out loud. Awkward.
You turned to Ryuga.

"Weird, isn't it?"

He turned to you.

"What is?"

You were slightly surprised.

"If you did this much work to meet him, and have kept searching for information after moving to Japan, I can see you are indeed doing your best."

You looked at him with your eyes wide open.

"You...are the first person that has reacted like that."

You were slightly moved.

"I am quite certain you will be able to meet with L."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) AAAAnd I yet again forgot my plans for the authors note. Great.
My friend recently changed my name in her phone to FangirL, and I'm kinda proud of it.

Shit, she reads these things, Euh-Um.... Dammit.