Piece 14: L

The second day passed without much ado.
So when you woke up on the last day and realised it was, in fact, the last day, you freaked out a little. With your head under your pillow you thought of possible scenarios. Today you would meet with L and-

You didn't really know what would happen afterwards. You would probably go back to before the Kira case and everything, before you got to know Light Yagami.

This made your feelings complicated. You would love to sleep in your own bed again. But the room you had in HQ felt like your own, it felt like the place where you belonged. And then came the parting from both L and Ryuga. Both were people you looked up to and you felt a slight pang in your chest when you thought about going away from Ryuga. Leaving it all behind.

You quickly got up and dressed yourself. If you just ignore it all it'll be fine. The elevator took you downstairs and you looked around. Ryuga wasn't sitting in front of the pc as usual. This was...Off to say the least. If he went to bed, something he hardly ever does, he at least wakes up earlier than you. You went to the kitchen and got some food, taking a two slices of cake with you to Ryuga's room. 
When you knocked on his door you heard a soft 'Come in' and opened the door.

"I'm coming in Ryuga"

He was sitting in his bed, his hair worse than usual.

"Good morning (Y/N)."

He muttered softly. You put the cake in front of him and sat down on a chair next to him. He looked very small on the king sized bed.

"It's rare for you to still be sleeping."

He moved the fork to his lips and with a bite of cake in his mouth he answered;

"Yes, I just have to do something today I'm not particularly looking forward to."

You smiled to yourself.

"Busy as ever, huh"

"Do not worry, I didn't forget our promise."

He continued eating his cake as you looked up with surprise. You cleared your throat and responded;

"If today doesn't work for you, I could wait a few more days."

Ryuga had finished his cake and got out of his bed. Standing up and putting his hands in his pockets, wearing his usual white shirt and blue denim pants.

"No, this has to be done today."

He walked out of the room, but in the doorway he turned around and said;

"I will wait for you downstairs, please come down when you're done eating."

You sat in your chair, eating your food and, yet again, thinking about today. When you finished you went downstairs again, using the stairs this time. When you got downstairs Ryuga looked up at you.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes?"

He moved his chair away from the desk and got up.

"Let's go then. Watari, pull the car up front."

You followed Ryuga out of the door and into the hallway. The elevator was opened and you and Ryuga walked into it. Ryuga pressed the button for the ground floor and the elevator started moving. Without looking up at you Ryuga muttered;

"I'm sorry if he disappoints you."

You turned to him, unsure if you misheard him or not.

"What?"

"I'm sorry if L is less than you expect him to be."

You smiled at him and said;

"I doubt that's possible."

He turned to you, his eyes ever so slightly wider than usual.
The rest of the elevator ride was silent, neither you nor Ryuga said a word.

~Ryuga's POV~

The elevator ride down was longer than usual, which was impossible, seeing as it was the same elevator as usual, but it felt that way. I had been feeling an awful feeling of dread the past few days, this was also the reason for my incompetence to wake up this morning. My serious concern of not being able to live up to her standards of L had been brushed off and it seemed like, even for all the genius I was made out to be, I did not know what to do. I had been dreading this day, though I do not know why.
When the elevator arrived at the ground floor the doors opened and (Y/N) stepped outside.
I followed after her. The car was already out front and we both went to sit down on the backseat. The drive itself was just like the elevator ride, silent and uneventful. Until we arrived at the destination. It took me a while to notice we had arrived my thoughts were somewhere else, (Y/N) would probably write it off to me thinking about some different matter. I only realised we had arrived after (Y/N) tapped me on the shoulder, I reacted a bit more rigorously than I had wanted, but (Y/N) didn't seem to mind. As we moved to the table to sit down I stayed standing.

"I will leave you now. I have given L a picture of you. The next person to sit down beside you will be L."

(Y/N) smiled a little and shuffled in the seat. I turned around and started walking. This will be the last I see of her, everything will be going back to normal after this, but I turned to face her again. I walked back to the table, determined to tell her, and said;

"I-I think I'll get some cake while I'm here. Do you mind if I join you?"

(Y/N) just smiled and shook her head. 

"Of course not."

A waiter came by to take our order and we just sat there for a few seconds.

"What can you tell me about L?"

"Not very much, I guess you could say I'm too close to him to notice most eccentricities."

She smiled.

"You're close to him, huh? How did you get to work with him?"

"We've been together for as long as I can remember."

This entire conversation was building up the lie. The lie we were creating. The lie I was creating.
I should not let this continue any longer, but how do I stop it? 

"I"

My mouth moved before my thoughts were sure of what to say.

"I'm not who you think I am."

She looked at me with her eyes wide, her moves starting to slow.

"What do you mean?"

"I am-, my name is not Ryuga or Ryuzaki."

She looked puzzled, confused.

"I am not the person you think I am. I am just- I am just me. An orphan from England who was given more priviliges just because he was smarter and older than everyone else he lived with."

I stood up sat down next to her.

"As is L."

She moved away from me slightly, I did not dare to look at her face.

"I am sorry to have kept it from you. This must be very disappointing to you and I understand if you just wish to go home-"

I was cut short when she rested her head on my shoulder. Causing us to almost fall over.

"You sound like the most interesting person I have ever known."

Her voice was cheerful and upbeat as she told me this. The tune to her voice made my heart tick, it felt like my chest was too small to contain it.

"I would love to know more about you, L"

I felt my eyes widening. My reason was nowhere to be found as I asked her;

"(Y/N), do you, like L?"

She had her eyes closed and a smile on her face as her head rested calmly on my shoulder.

"Yes, I like you. "

---------------------------------------------------
(A/N) Remember when I said I had the story aaaaall figured out. Yeah, I didn't. I had no idea how to end it, so after a scrapped draft, this is what I came up with.
Anyway, thank you so much for waiting so goddamn long for me to finish this story. You have been patient with me.