Piece 13: Totally Not A Date In The Park

My mind was drifting. I couldn't concentrate on the abundance of cases and missing person files lying in front of me. My thoughts kept drifting back to two days from now when I'll have to meet (Y/N) and she'll find out I've been lying to her.

(Y/N) was sitting behind me on the couch munching on some cake. It was clear she didn't have much to do here.

"(Y/N), are you bored?"

I asked her, not moving my line of sight from papers in front of me and taking one of them between my index finger and thumb to make it look like I wasn't paying attention.

"No,  not particularly. You seem busy though, what are you working on?"

Nothing.

"Just some minor cases. Nothing much."

The room went silent again. We went back to both doing our own thing, and even though we only exchanged a few words,  I felt myself slightly more energetic than before. This did not help towards my effort to focus on the cases in front of me. I found myself distracted by thoughts about (Y/N) and could not leave the conversation at this.

"(Y/N) would you like to join me for a trip to the amusement Park?"

I have never wanted to go to an amusement park, and I still don't see it as a very attracting thing, but I heard people her age tend to enjoy them. And seeing as her best friend died a few days ago she might enjoy some positive encouragement.

"Sure. When?"

I had not thought this through, two days might be of too short notice. I looked at the clock, it was 2 PM.

"Now?"

And so we went to the amusement park close by. She seemed to be slightly more experienced with the rides and we tried a lot of them.  When we had both gotten tired we sat down on a bench and got some ice cream to eat.

"Ryuga"

She started catching my attention as I turned my gaze from my ice cream to her.

"I wanted to tell you, I have been lying to you."

"Do not worry about it (Y/N), I have been too."

"Still, I really want to tell this to you,  would you listen?"

I nodded and listened to her story. It was about how she and Light met and how she came to know he was Kira. It was surprising, I'll admit that, but not shocking. What was more surprising was that she decided to tell me this.

"(Y/N), would you tell me why you decided to tell me this? This wasn't something that would easily break a relationship, and the connection we have is not that extensive to begin with. So why?"

"I just felt like I needed to come clean. And I don't think our bond is fragility enough to be broken by something like this. But, Ryuga, I consider you one of my friends, and treasure my connection with you. I also feel like you are a much bigger part of my life then Light or L could've ever been, if I had to chose between meeting L and continue to meet up with you, I'd pick you."

I was shocked, no not shocked,  startled, frozen in place, by her confession. Being told I was more important than L filled me with excitement and happiness, I could feel my heart jumping in my chest and this was when I understood;

I love her.

---------------------------------------------------------(A/N) It's a little under my standard amount of words,  but it'll do. The titel is a little different from the rest, but it's worth it for this was the perfect moment for a reference. Ten invisible cookies for the person that knows where it is a reference to.