Prologue - The Beginning

Word Count: 1231

By the way, I got the idea to write this book with a plot like this from @Rinnlyyt's book Afraid, which is also a Crafting Dead Fanfic. I apologize if this prologue is like hers; I have a bunch of prewritten chapters and my book will take its own turn after this chapter on Faith's journey to find Major Gray, her love. <3333

So go show Rin's book some love. She's a wonderful writer!

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

When I joined the military, I never thought that at some point in my life, I would never have thought I'd face a problem as large as this. This just leads up to how I woke up in the dead middle of the night from the military alarm going off. It wasn't just any normal alarm, either. It was a Code Red alarm. That means something extremely bad has happened, and they need everybody, and I repeat; Everybody to go line up inside the lunch hall.

With red lights flashing all over the room, I stumbled out of bed. I looked around. Some of the other high ranks of the army were also waking up and jumping to my feet. All of lower ranked women and men of the army had their own bunkers, while they kept all of the higher ranked men and women together in one bunker. I wouldn't object, because it means I'm sharing a room with less people.

I glanced at the bed next to me, but saw it was already empty. It was Major Gray's bed. Him and I were decent friends, and we did occasionally laugh, joke and goof off with each other when we weren't busy fighting. I pulled on my boots, and my bulletproof vest, and ran out of the bunker and down the hall. By now, I was used to this routine. Hear the alarm, get up, get dressed, and try to be in the lunch room in under two minutes. It was all fairly simple for me, actually.

I ran into the lunch room, and paused. My eyes scanned around until I saw a few cadets, still struggling to line up. I rolled my eyes, and walked up to the front, and stood beside Major Gray. I didn't look at him, and he didn't look at me. We just both stared as we watched more and more men and women struggle into the room.

Once everyone was here, Major Gray spoke up as one of the men turned on the projector, and aimed it at the wall. There it showed a picture of my hometown, Elsburg, but in ruins with people- no, zombies, is the correct term, roaming around on the street. I did my best to keep my composture, though. I pressed my lips firmly together as I watched the screen in horror.

"There has been a recent outbreak in what appears to be zombies. It's our job to go to the few cities and fight off the zombies. Gear up, then head to the jeeps. I want 10 people per jeep. Three jeeps will go to each city. Depart!" Major Gray shouted.

Everyone scrambled to gear up. I grabbed my favourite gun off the weapons stand, and put on a belt that also held a small pistol, and a couple knives. I then raced over, grabbed my helmet, and strapped it on my head. I put the rest of my gear on, then ran for the jeeps.

I hopped up onto Jeep 01. Major Gray hopped up along side me. After a few seconds, eight other cadets had climbed onto the Jeep. It was a tight squeeze, but we all fit. I ended up standing on the edge of the Jeep, with my hands holding the bars across the top. The engine of the Jeep roared to life as the cadet in the drivers seat hit the gas petal. Behind us, one by one, each jeep roared to life and took off.

Our jeep raced down the dirt road. Up ahead of us, lies my hometown, Elsburg. I bit my lip, but held on tighter as we left the dirt road and raced onto the pavement. The street was littered with the so called "Zombies." The Jeep suddenly took a huge lurch go the right to avoid a broken car in the middle of the road. This caused me to accidentally loose my grip and fall off the edge of the Jeep, tumbling across the hard road.

Loud zombie groans filled my ears, and I heard someone scream my name. "Faith! Look out!" With a start, I realized it was Major Gray. I glanced up to see a walker a meter away from me. Letting out a surprised scream, I pulled out my pistol and put a bullet in its head without hesitating. It dropped dead to the ground, and I let out a sigh of relief. I heard screeching of tires, and I looked up to see Major Gray yelling at the driver while he struggled to turn the Jeep around.

I pushed myself to my feet, and started running for the Jeep with a few zombies tailing me. Major Gray and another cadet shot at the zombies and killed them. When I reached the Jeep, I grabbed Major Gray's extended hand as he pulled me up. I quickly muttered a thank you to him, which in return he gave me a curt nod.

I sat down on the bench. I would have continued to stand, but I must have banged my leg hard on the ground, because now my kneecap joint hurt like hell. But I wasn't one to whine when I was in pain. I'll pull through. Major Gray gave me a glance as the jeeps engine roared to life once again, and took off.

"Faith, are you injured?" Major Gray asked me.

I simply rolled my eyes. "I'm fine."

Major Gray sighed, knowing it would be pointless to continue arguing with me. The Jeep continued driving for a couple minutes, until it stopped beside an alleyway.

"Everyone move!" Major Gray barked out the command. Armed with my gun, I leaped off the edge of the Jeep. I landed on my injured leg, and let out a quiet hiss of pain. Only Major Gray and two of the cadets noticed, but chose not to say anything.

Forcing myself to ignore the pain, I ran ahead beside Major Gray while the other men ran behind us. We ran through the alleyways, where there were one or two zombies every so often. Most of the zombies were out in the street, or pounding on people's houses. We ran out into the street, then suddenly the ground shook, which caused my injured leg to give out on me as I collapsed to the ground.

"Everyone get down!" Major Gray shouted.

Around me, the cadets dived to the ground. I saw Major Gray dive down beside me. There was a huge giant flash followed by an explosion which shook the ground. Rubble and chunks of buildings started falling around us. We all got up to our feet, and ran.

"Run!" Major Gray commanded.

I began to pump my legs, running as fast as I could. But my leg kept me from running full speed. I cried out as my leg once again gave out on me, and I tumbled to the ground. I hit my leg on the ground, and I heard a sickening crack. I cried out in pain again, now curled up on the ground.

I looked up to see Major Gray turning around, and he started running back to me. One of the cadets grabbed his shoulder yanking him back. I heard groaning, cracking, and my name being screamed before heavy concrete fell down ontop of me, and darkness surrounded my vision.