Chapter 1 - A New Friend

Word Count: 1000

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

Darkness. That's all I can see.

Where am I?

My leg hurts so much...

That was when I remembered what happened earlier. It all came flooding back to me. My leg getting injured, and now all of this heavy rubble that has fallen on top of me.

"I need to get out of here..." my mind thought.

I went to move, and a sharp pain flew up my leg, making me yelp. I hissed in pain, knowing I had to ignore the pain if I wanted to get out of here. Luckily, there was a bit of space for me to move around. I rolled on my back, and noticed I could see a bit of sunlight through the cracks of the rubble and concrete.

Ignoring the pain, I used my hands and started pulling at the rubble, and some of it crumbled away. I grabbed a rock and attempted to pull it, only to hiss as I cut my hand on the rock. I pulled out one of the knives from my belt, and started stabbing it against the rock and anything above me. Eventually, I had a hole through the rubble, and so I sat up against all of my screaming muscels. I braced my back against the piece of concrete trapping me, and pushed up. My leg screamed in pain, but I eventually threw it off to the side. Now free from the rubble, I struggled to stand, only to fall over.

I looked around. The city was in ruins. I could see nobody around me, just broken buildings for miles and miles. My heart shattered. There was nobody here. Major Gray and the others had left without me. There weren't even zombies here anymore every living thing that could have possibly been alive is now dead.

I looked around, and grabbed a long stick that just so happened to be intact still. I used the stick to support myself and stand up. I also used the stick to help me walk. I had to leave my big gun behind because I couldn't carry it. Once I stood up, that was when I looked down and realized how bad my injuries were.

My injured leg had a huge scratch down the side that was bleeding. My military uniform had dust all over it, and it was ripped in several places. My face was probably covered in dust and cuts too, I bet. I sighed and continued slowly trying to walk along. After a couple minutes, I thought I heard something so I paused to listen.

Sure enough, I could hear the quiet sobs of a little girl somewhere. I immediately knew that I needed to help her, no matter what. I slowly walked along with my ears open, trying to listen to where the crying was coming from.

"Hello! Is anybody out there?" I called. Suddenly the crying cut off, but I heard occasional sniffles. "Please, you can trust me. I just want to help you!"

There was silence for a moment, before I heard a young girls voice call, "I'm over here!"

I turned to where the sound came from. I headed in that direction, and then I saw her. She was just a little girl about the age of five years old, with beautiful black hair just like mine. "Are you hurt?" I questioned.

"N-no. You look hurt, though." She said. She crawled out of a gap in some rubble, and came over to me. She stood in front of me for a couple seconds, before grinning. "Wait- Are you in the military?"

I cracked a small grin to her. "Yes, I am. I work beside Major Gray and everyone else." I chuckled.

"That's so cool!" The girl gasped in awe, then did a salute. I laughed, and did my best to salute back to her, which made her giggle.

"I never caught your name." I asked.

"My name is Esther." The young, black haired girl replied happily.

"Well, that's such a cute and unique name. It suits you." I replied.

"Thanks!" Esther giggled.

"Well, we better get moving. I move slow because of my injuries, and we might want to have a place to stay by the time the sun sets." I said.

"Okay!" Esther smiled.

"Esther might just keep my courage and hopes up that someday I'll find Major Gray again. Hopefully he escaped alright." I thought.

***

By now, the sun was setting. Even though I moved very slow, Esther helped me walk over or around rubble if it was needed. I just loved Esther, and it's almost like she's my very own daughter. I want to raise her like that, too. I want her to grow up beside me.

We had found shelter in a small little house near the edge of the town that wasn't completely destroyed. After looting the house, I tucked Esther into one of the beds, then went downstairs and sat on the living room couch. I pulled medical stuff out of my backpack, and began tending to my leg. I wasn't a doctor, and didn't know much about medical stuff either, but I did have the basic knowledge to know that I needed to clean my leg before wrapping it, so I did that.

Once I had bandages wrapped tightly around my leg, I put my leg into a splint. I was so tired that night, that I ended up just making my way upstairs, going into the room that Esther was sleeping in. I quietly opened the door as I came in, and closed the door shut behind me. I saw Esther passed out and sleeping on one of the beds. I stripped off my extra gear like my vest, my belt, my boots, my helmet and anything else like that until I was only in my ripped uniform pants and top. I climbed into the bed next to Esther's bed, and after a couple minutes, I did doze off.