Chapter 4 - Escape Plan

Word Count: 1115

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

I woke up. The cellar was dark, so I assumed it was around midnight. I saw Esther sitting beside me, awake. I looked at her, and she looked up when she noticed I was awake. She put a finger to her lips, then pointed at the desk. I looked at the desk, and saw one of Red's men sitting in the chair, asleep. Some nightguard.

"Now?" Esther whispered. I nodded me head.

She got up, and quietly walked over to the bars. She slipped through them, and tiptoed over to the desk. I watched her stand on her toes, and snatch the keys. She came back over, and slipped back into the cell. She pushed one of the keys into one of my wrist shackles, turned the key, and it unlocked. She moved onto my other wrist, unlocked it, and then unlocked my ankles from the shackles. I grabbed the cell door key, from Esther. I stood up, and limped over to the door. It was kind of hard to walk, especially now my leg was injured all over again.

I unlocked the cell door, and quietly pulled it open just enough for us to fit through. I slipped out, and out of the corner of my eye I saw our backpacks and my belt against the wall. I pointed at it, and Esther ran over and grabbed them, bringing them back over. I put my backpack on my back, and fastened my belt around my waist. I gave Esther a pistol in case she needed some self defense, and I also had my gun ready.

Esther helped me up the stairs, and we traveled through the halls. At one point we did come across another guard, but just like the last one, he was asleep in his chair.

We found the exit to the building. I pushed open the door, and quietly shut it behind us. We then looked around. Where the hell were we?

We were in some sort of city, and the building we came out of appeared to be an police department of some sort. I just knew we had to get out of here really fast, because if that guard wakes up and notices us gone, we're done for.

"We need to get away from here." I announced. I grabbed Esther's hand, and we started making our way down the street. I took out any zombies with my axe. I didn't want to use my gun just yet in case one of Red's men heard the gunshots.

After a bit of walking I began to reconize the city we were in. "Wait, I know this place! We're in Washington! See, over there's the-" I pointed, and was about to say 'White House,' but stopped, seeing the White House in ruins. It appeared that it had been blown up.

"Well, even so..." I stated. "We just have to cross a forest at the end of the town to make it to the CDC."

"That's good." Esther smiled. I grabbed her hand once again, and we started walking again.

***

By sunrise, we had made it to the edge of the forest. I looked back towards the city, which I hoped that I would never come back to. Red's men had probably noticed they were gone by now, so we need to keep moving, especially since they know where we were headed. I limped into the forest, with Esther following me.

We had been walking for around 15 minutes now. I honestly felt we were getting nowhere. Suddenly, a new voice appeared, making me snap my head right to where it came from.

There was this guy casually leaning against one of the trees. He had an axe, but it was attached to his belt. "Newcomers?" He questioned.

After a moment, I reponded. I felt like I could trust this guy. "Yes. We were just passing through."

"Oh. Where are you headed?" The man asked.

"We're heading to the CDC. I have an old friend who I hope is still there." I said.

"I could help you through the forest, and give you some supplies if you need them. You look like you've been through hell and back." The man smiles warmly.

"I'm going decline the offer of giving us supplies- We have plenty, but if you could help us through the forest that would be great." I grinned.

"Alright. Come with me. Are you okay to walk? That leg looks really bad." He commented.

"I'll be fine. I've walked all this way, so I'm good." I chuckled.

I grabbed Esther's hand as the man slowed his walk so we could keep up with him. "So, my name's Bobby. What about you and your friend?"

"My name is Faith, and she's Esther." I introduced ourselves. Esther gave a small wave to Bobby.

"So, do you have any other friends at the CDC?" Bobby asked suddenly.

"Uhh no, not that I know of." I replied.
"Oh, well a small group of boys came through. They asked for directions to the CDC, too." Bobby said.

"Oh. What were their names?" I asked.

"Uh, Nick was one of them. He's a nice guy. And then there were three more... I think their names were... Shark... Ghetto... And AK...? I think that's it. I remember Shark's name because I just thought of a shark, and I thought of AK as a gun. And Ghetto? I just remembered it because it's an odd name I don't hear everyday." Bobby chuckled.

Something snapped in my mind. I remembered back when Red said; "Your useless to me if you don't know Nick and his friends." Or something like that.

"I've heard the name Nick before. I don't reconize the others, though." I said.

"They were a very nice bunch of survivors. Nicer than the ones I usually meet." Bobby shrugged.

We came out of the forest and we saw we were standing on a road now. Or more correct, a highway. Bobby pointed down the road. "Now if you travel around half a days walk down this road in that direction, you should make it to the city before nightfall."

"Thanks for your help, Bobby." I smiled. "I hope to meet you again sometime."

"I hope so too. Feel free to come back and visit sometime when your leg is healed up and you've found your friend. I live in this forest, and usually don't go far. I'm always around." Bobby chuckled.

"Bye!" Esther and I called, as we turned and started walking down the road in the direction he pointed. I looked back over my shoulder to see Bobby disappear into the deep forest.