Chapter 6 - Old And New Friends

Word Count: 1067

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

I saw the CDC up ahead. I smiled, fun and wonderful memories coming back to me about it. One of the cadets opened the gate. He stared at me for a moment, shock clear in his eyes. "Is that you, Sargent Faith?"

"Yes, it is me." I chuckled.

The cadet took off his helmet, revealing his black hair. I stared at him for a minute, before reconition sparked in my mind. "Ah, John! Nice to see you again!" I laughed. John was one of the lower ranked cadets that I knew. We shared a quick hug, before continuing towards the door.

We walked in, and I found myself in the main hallway. I smiled, more memories coming back to me of this place. Esther was standing beside me, looking around.

"John, go get Major Gray for me." Nick called. John nodded, knowing how he and I were practically best friends before the zombie apocalypse. John ran out a door, the door swinging shut behind him. I had a small talk with Nick until a new voice pulled my attention away.

I looked over to see Major Gray walk into the room, coming from the door and holding a clipboard while reading something from it. "You wanted me, Nick?" He asked.

Major Gray looked up from his clipboard, and it was like time froze. We stared into each others eyes. "F-Faith?" He stuttered.

I grinned happily, nodding. Tears came to both of our eyes. Major Gray's clipboard dropped from his hands, clattering to the ground. He raced at me, and when he reached me, we both hugged tightly. I buried my face into his shoulder, tears of joy coming down my face. I breathed in his scent, smiling.

"Faith... I thought you were dead!" Major Gray sniffled.

"Well... I'm not." I reply back, voice cracking from my tears.

"Where have you been! Your about to tell me your whole story in the past year." Major Gray laughed, and pulled away. He wiped his eyes, and looked me up and down.

"I should get you one of the clean uniforms and medical help. You look like death chewed you up and spit you back out." Major Gray commented.

I gave him a 'really?' look. "So I look like a zombie?"

"N-no! Not like that!" He nervously laughed.

"I know what you mean." I replied, chuckling.

"So who is this?" He asked, refering to Esther.

"Oh, that's Esther. I found her when I was trying to get through the ruins of Elsburg." I said.

"Alright, well come with me, the both of you. I'll give you some new clothes." He said.

He turned, and began to walk down the hall. I took a step forward, only to hiss in pain and stumble onto the ground. Major Gray whipped around, rushing over to me. "Is it your leg?" He asked, in which I just nodded.

"You know what? I lied. Your getting your leg tended to first." Major Gray chuckled.

"Can you walk?" He asked me. I stood up only to hiss in pain.

"Okay nope, I'm gonna carry you." He said before he scooped me up in his arms. I blushed, but hid my face in his shirt until I felt it go away. I saw Esther following us, walking beside Major Gray.

We walked down the hall, and into the lab. I heard a voice I reconized, and a voice I had never heard before. I looked up to see Professor Xavier and a younger man who had short black hair standing beside him. The two looked up and saw Major Gray, Esther and I.

"Is that-" Professor X began to ask, before Major Gray cut him off.

"Yes, this is Faith. Her leg is hurting." Major Gray carried me over to one of the tables and sat me ontop of it. The other, younger man went to work on studing some formula while Xavier looked at my leg.

I rolled up the ripped uniform pantleg, and Professor X started to take off the now bloodstained bandages. He cleaned up my leg, before rewrapping my leg in bandages. "We have an old wheelchair you can use. Your leg has been damaged more because you kept walking on it. So the best thing you can do right now is use the wheelchair to get around." Professor X stated.

"Okay." I nodded my head. Professor X grabbed an old hospital wheelchair from the corner, and wheeled it over to me. Major Gray grabbed my waist gently to help me slide off the table and into the chair.

"Thanks." I mumbled, smiling at Major Gray while blushing a bit.

"U-Uh your welcome...?" Major Gray stuttered, and ended with a nervous laugh as he rubbed the back of his head with his hand.

Major Gray began to push my wheelchair out of the lab, with Esther trailing behind us. "Are you hungry? You felt awfully underweight for your age."

Truth be told, I hadn't eaten since before we were kidnapped by Red, which was like about 3 days ago. I was hungry, but I didn't want to waste their food supply. "I'm not hungry." I said.

"I'm kind of hungry." Esther said. "We both haven't eaten for three days."

I mentally cursed inside my mind at Esther because she said that. "Then we can get you both something to eat." Major Gray said, and then we started heading to the cafeteria.

I sighed. "I'm not hungry, though." I mumbled.

"Faith, I know you haven't eaten for at least three days. You have to be hungry. Don't worry, we have plenty of food here." Major Gray reassured. He pushed my wheelchair into the kitchen, and then left my side and went to the fridge. He pulled out an apple. "Here, something easy to start with."

I sighed, taking the apple. I looked at it in my hands, before taking a small bite. Major Gray smiled, and turned back to get Esther something to eat. I pushed myself over to the door. "I'll be looking around." I told them.

"Alright." Major Gray said. I glanced back to make sure he wasn't looking, before gently setting the barely eaten apple down in the garbage before I pushed myself out of the door. I continued to go down the hallway, remembering all of the fun times I had here.