Chapter 5 - Nick

Word Count: 1174

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

"That guy was really nice." Esther announced with a smile on her face. The sun was setting, and we were approaching the city. It had taken us a bit longer to get here because of my leg and the breaks we had to make.

"Yeah, he wasn't like any of Red's men." I nodded my head in agreement.

"We should find somewhere to sleep for the night." Esther suggested.

"Yeah. Um... What about that apartment building?" I pointed to a tall, gray apartment building.

"That should work." Esther agreed.

We both walked over to the apartment building and in the front doors. The power was obviously shut down, so there was nothing keeping the door locked. We walked into the lobby, our weapons drawn just in case something or someone jumped out at us. I looked down the hallway, and saw tons of doors.

I walked up to the closest door, and tried opening it. Luckily for us, it was unlocked. We walked into the nice apartment, and found no zombies. "Alright, I'll take this room, and you can take that room. I'll be taking the nightshift." I said. Esther nodded and went into her room, closing the door.

I knew I wouldn't sleep tonight, because there was just too much on my mind. I held the wall for support as I limped around the apartment to explore. There was a small kitchen with basic appliances which more than likely wouldn't work because there was no power, and then I saw a living room with a couch in it.

I sat down on the couch, and crossed my arms. I leaned back, and sighed. I then decided to go over to the window, and sat down on a chair beside it. I stared out the window, watching the night sky.

***

I was right, I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep last night. I was tired, but I tried to not let it show. At moment, we were walking around the city. I held Esther's hand so I didn't fall over as I struggled to walk. The only thing is, I couldn't help but feel like we were being watched. I kept glancing around, but saw no one.

My leg touched the ground, and a shooting pain went up my leg, making me stumble with a yelp. "Faith, are you okay?" Esther asked me worriedly.

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine... My leg is hurting like hell again." I stuttered. I grabbed the wall next to me, pulling myself to my feet.

I heard a groan from right behind us. We whipped around, and saw a zombie like a meter away from us. I let out another yelp as I tumbled backwards in shock. A gunshot rang out, and the zombie dropped dead. A man stepped out from an alleyway.

"Are you two okay?" He called. I immediately sensed I could trust this person for some reason.

He jogged over to us. He had chocolate, messy brown hair and wore this black long sleeved shirt that had a red square on the front with a white M inside the square. When he reached us, he extended his hand to me. "Here, let me help you up."

I grasped his hand, and he pulled me to my feet and held onto my hand until I steadied myself. The new guy seemed to examine us both. "Wait- Are you from the military?" He questioned curiously.

"Well, yes. I was in the military at the CDC before the zombie apocalypse started. I lost a friend when we were saving one of the towns. Bombs dropped, and a building fell ontop of me, and my friend and everyone else escaped. At least, that's what I'd like to believe." I said. Esther had stayed silent throughout our whole conversation, standing slightly behind me.

"I noticed because you wear the same military uniform as one of my friends. And your backstory is simillar." The man said.

A flash of hope sparked in me. Maybe his friend was Gray... "So, what's your name?"

"Oh, exuse my rudeness. My name is Nick."

My eyes sparked with reconition.

"Are you that guy that Bobby told us about?" Esther asked innocently.

"Wait- You know Bobby?" Nick's eyes widened.

"Yeah. We met him when we were trying to get through the forest. He showed us the way through, and told us to continue walking down this highway and we'd get to our destination. He mentioned you and some other names I can't remember now. Anyhow, do you happen to know where the CDC is? That was our destination. I was hoping that my friend was there." I asked.

A smile appeared on Nick's lips. "My friends and I are staying there. Does your friends name happen to be Gray?"

I nodded my head, a giant smile forming on my face. "Yes, he and I were best friends before we got separated back in Elsburg."

"I know where he is. He's back at the CDC with us. Do you want to come?" Nick asked me, in which I happily said yes to.

"Alright. So, what is your names?" Nick asked us.

"My name is Faith, and my friend here is Esther." I replied.

Nick smiled at that. "Major Gray talks about you a lot. Occasionally he brings up a conversation about this 'Faith' girl that was in the army with him. He'd tell us different stories. One story he talked about a lot, is the day he lost you. It made him sad a couple times. I can tell he still misses you."

"Really? I thought he would have forgotten about me..." I trailed off.

"Oh cheer up! He hasn't forgotten about you. It will make him a lot happier when he sees you." Nick smiled, then changed the topic. Anyway, what happened to your leg?"
"When the building fell on me, it forever damaged my leg. After a year, I still limped on it. Then while travelling to the CDC, we got kidnapped." I explain.

"Kidnapped? By who?!" Nick gasped.

"We only just escaped yesterday. He had this army, and his name was Red. He was a cannibal." I sighed. "We came across him while travelling to the CDC. He tried telling me Major Gray was at his base, and that I should go with him. I knew Gray wouldn't abandon the CDC, so I didn't believe him. He ended up knocking me out."

Nick's face was shocked. "I know Red. He's taken away some friends from me and killed them..." He trailed off. "Did he threaten to eat you?"

"He said that he didn't want me because I was injured, and he didn't want Esther because he said she was thin and 'barely enough meat on her bones to feed one person.'" I sighed.

"That's unfortunate. Good thing you escaped, though. Now, let's get back to the CDC to surprise Major Gray. I know he'll be a lot happier after he sees you." Nick said, and he started to lead the way.