Chapter 14 - Ross and Red

Word Count: 1171

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

I walked behind Major Gray and Uni, my gun ready to fire. I kept glancing behind me, checking for any threats. Don't blame me, I wasn't the one who was going to be attacked from behind. That's always what happens in movies and things like that; the back person is taken out and they wait until the rest of the group notices that the person is gone.

Man, that got really dark.

The three of us found this door that led to the basement of the church. If there are people inside, we don't want to barge through the front doors. Major Gray and Uni pried the door open, while I stood watch. Out of the corner of my vision, I could see people moving through the forest. Alarmed, I turned my head fully to look at them, but relaxed when I noticed it was just the others keeping watch and exploring the area.

Once Major Gray and Uni got the door open, the three of us hopped down into the basement. I led the way through the hallway, and we found this area that looked like a science lab.

"Yeah, I think Red has been here." Uni announced as he lifted up a bottle that had some sort of green liquid. He tipped it and poured it onto the floor. The liquid sizzled a little, before burning through the old wooden planks of the floor and seeping into the dirt below.

"Wow, I wouldn't want to drink that." Uni chuckled a little, before setting the glass down again and continuing to look around.

I giggled a little at his silliness, then walked up to a window. Through the window I could see rows upon rows of cages, most of the cages having zombies inside them.

"Hey, guys, come over here and look at this." I called. I walked over to the door, and pried it open. I entered the lab, with Major Gray and Uni trailing behind me.

"How long do you think they were here?" I asked the other two, pulling out my axe. I killed a few zombies in the cages, with Major Gray and Uni doing the same thing.

I turned my head just for a few seconds to say something to Major Gray, and in that small amount of time, a zombie had reached through the bars of its cage, grabbed the thin fabric of my long sleeved white shirt, yanking me towards it. I let out a scream, and struggled. My shoulder hit the bars of the cage, and I heard the loud, vicious snarl of a hungry zombie right in my ear.

My shout caught the attention of Major Gray and Uni. They both turned to me, and I could see the shock and panick clear on their faces. Major Gray shoved Uni out of the way, racing at top speed for me. Except he wouldn't be fast enough. I gripped my axe in my hand, and time just seemed to stop as I swung my axe through the bars, and impaled the zombie. The zombies grip on me loosened.

I stumbled away from the zombie, not bothering to pull my axe out of the zombies stomach. I landed in a pair of arms, and I looked up to notice it was Major Gray who caught me.

"Are you okay?!" Major Gray asked me worriedly.

"Y-Yeah... Just a bit surprised. You should really check on Uni, though. You kind of pushed him out of the way to get to me..." I trailed off chuckling.

We both looked over at Uni, who was holding his shoulder as he walked up to us.

Major Gray let go of me and turned to Uni with an apologetic look on his face. "Sorry about that Uni... Is your shoulder okay?"

"When you shoved me I accidentally hit the wall. My shoulder really hurts, but I'll be fine." Uni admitted.

"Are you sure? Maybe we should leave." I added.

"No, I'll be fine. Let's just continue looking around." Uni objected.

Major Gray and I sighed. "Alright, let's continue searching and head upstairs." Major Gray announced.

All of us agreed with Major Gray, and we walked through the halls to the stairs. We all had our weapons ready as we slowly and quietly crept up the old wooden stairs. I peeked around the corner at the top of the stairs, and saw no one.

"It's all clear." I whispered to Major Gray and Uni.

They nodded, and all three of us went around the corner. I approached a door and put my ear to it. After hearing nothing, I grabbed the handle and slowly turned it, opening the door. I entered the room, and saw a few chests. I went over to get chest, and opened it.

"Well, it's certain Red was here." I sigh, and shut the chest lid, not wanting to see anymore of the horrible meat inside.

"Ew... Yeah, there's meat in this chest too." Uni groaned, shutting another chest in the room.

I opened another chest, only to slam it shut. "It's horrible how much meat he leaves behind!" I snapped in disgust.

"Yeah. Let's just leave this room. I bet all of the chests here have meat in them." Uni told me.

I sighed. "I think you may be right. Come on, let's go see if Major Gray has found anything." I told him.

"Alright, let's go." Uni nodded his head, agreeing with me. I quickly exited the room with Uni trailing not fat behind me.

We walked down the hall, where we found Major Gray waiting for us.

"We checked one of the rooms, and all there was in there was gross human meat." I told him as I ran a hand through my hair, pushing it out of my face.

We walked into the main part of the church, quietly talking amongst ourselves. That was when I looked up at the stage, and noticed Red standing there with Ross by his side. My eyes widened.

"U-Uh guys..." I mumbled, and pointed at them.

"Red." Major Gray hissed, pulling out his gun and aiming it at Red.

"Ah, ah, ah. You see, I wouldn't do that. Right now, my men are outside with your friends captured." Red giggled insanely. "So I highly suggest you put the gun down."

Major Gray was about to lower his gun, when he got a burst of courage. He took a few steps closer to the two crazies. "Well, I don't think your men are out there! They probably aren't! So I see no reason to just end it here!"

"Now, about that..." Ross said, piping up. Both Red and him put on a gas mask, and then Ross threw a smoke pellet of some sort, which exploded. Gas filled the air.

I got dizzy and fell to the ground, with Major Gray and Uni falling also. The last thing I saw was Ross and Red walking up to us while laughing.