Chapter 11 - Coral and Sub

Word Count: 1045

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

I woke up, yawning. I was laying on some sort of rough surface. I cracked open my eyelids, to see I was sleeping outside on a hay bale. Confused, I sat up and looked around, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I saw two other unfamiliar people nearby, and I saw Major Gray sitting with them. I stood up, and Major Gray noticed, then beckoned me over. While stood up and limped over to them, I examined the area. We were in some sort of large pen. I could see other pens, and then I also saw big houses. I wonder how we got here. The last thing I remember is falling asleep in the garden with Major Gray.

"Gray, where are we?" I asked, confused. "And who are they?"

"Well, we apparently got kidnapped by Red after we fell asleep. These two are Sub and Coral. They were also kidnapped by Red." Major Gray explained.

"What happened to your leg?" Coral asked me.

"Uhh... Long story. It got injured at the start of the apocalypse, giving me a limp forever, then recently it was shot, and it just reinjuired it." I explained.

"Oh." Coral nodded. I sat down on a hay bale beside Major Gray, and rested my head on his shoulder.

"Sub is a mute, so he can't talk." Major Gray whispered into my ear. I just nodded in understanding.

I sighed, letting my eyes wander around. "I hope we get rescued soon." I mumbled to Major Gray.

"I'm sure Nick will send help... Wouldn't he?" Major Gray questioned.

"I'm sure he would." I replied.

"So are you two like, a thing?" Coral asked, beckoning to Major Gray and I. I just laughed and nodded my head.

"Yeah, we are." I grinned, and Major Gray nodded his head, approving.

"It sucks to be back here, though. They attacked our base not even a week ago, and killed someone fairly close to us. And now we find ourselves back here." I sighed.

Major Gray wrapped one of his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him for reassurance.

"Yeah. Red took my family away from me." Coral sighed sadly, which made Sub hug him.

"Do you know who else is here?" Major Gray asked.

"Other than this other guy, no. There was another guy that they brought in with you. He appeared to be knocked out and had brown hair. He only had melee weapons on him, which I found strange." Coral said. "Red called him 'Bobby' or some other name like that."
I immediately looked at each other. "Wait, Bobby? I know that guy! I met him on the way through the forest!" I exclaimed.

"I've never met him, but Nick has told me about him before and how he's helped him." Major Gray added.

"Well they took him to pen number four, which is the pen on the other side of that building." Coral announced, pointing to a tall building.

"We need to get out of here. Who knows what Red would do to Bobby!" I fretted.

"Lunch time!" A new voice called. All of us glanced over to see one of Red's men drop a bunch of chocolate bars through a hole in the fence, then he left.

We all went over to the chocolate bars on the ground. "They feed us these to fatten us up. Don't eat a lot of it. Hide some in your clothing." Coral suggested.

"I don't even like chocolate." I made a face.

Major Gray looked at me suprised. "But didn't you like chocolate before the zombie apocalypse started?"

I just sighed and shrugged. "The zombie apocalypse changes people." Was all I said, but then I added, "It's probably expired or melted anyway."

Major Gray shrugged, picked up a few and hid them in his shirt. "Your probably right, but I don't want to starve to death."

"Starving would be better than being eaten by Red." I pointed out.

"That's true." Major Gray shrugged.

Major Gray and I followed Sub and Coral back into the shade. We sat down on the grass. Suddenly Coral looked at us.

"Can we trust you?" He asked seriously.

"Of course!" I butted in.

"What kind of people were you before the zombie apocalypse started?" He asked us.

"We were in the military, fighting side by side to protect our country." Major Gray said.

"Verywell. What I tell you, you cannot tell anyone. Nobody can know about this. If word of it gets out, we're good as gone." Coral whispered.

Major Gray and I nodded our heads, and stayed quiet, ready to listen to what Coral had to say.

"Sub and I are digging a tunnel to get out of here." He quietly whispered.

"Really? Where is it?" I asked quietly.

"Right here." He got up and pointed down.

I looked over, not wanting to get up since I might hurt my leg again. Major Gray got up, and went over to the hole, and jumped in after making sure no one was looking. a moment later, he crawled out. "They've got a good start." Major Gray commented.

"What have you been using to dig?" I questioned.

The boy, Sub, pulled out a makeshift shovel.

"It's a chocolate spade!" Coral exclaimed. Major Gray and I laughed, then Sub put the chocolate spade away so the guards wouldn't see it.

"We used an old stick, then used chocolate bars they gave us, and molded the chocolate to form a spade. It suprisingly works pretty well." Coral commented.

"I'm suprised." I chuckled.

"Anyway, we escape tonight. Whose to say when Red will want a fresh meal." Coral whispered, and we all nodded our heads in agreement.

"Well I think we should rest up before tonight." I whisper back.

"You and Major Gray get your sleep. Sub and I are going to continue digging." Coral announced. With that, Sub hopped down into the hole after checking to make sure no one was looking.

Major Gray helped me walk over to one of the hay bales, where we both laid down. I cuddled closer to Major Gray and we both fell asleep after a little bit, listening to the quiet sound of Coral talking to Sub.