Chapter 3 - Cannibals

Word Count: 848

_ _ _

Faith's POV

_ _ _

I woke up with a strong pain in my leg and a splitting headache. I groaned, and pushed myself up, ignoring my screaming muscels. I looked around, and the first thing I noticed was that I had shackles around my wrists and ankles, which were attached to the wall. I examined the room I was in.

It appeared I was in some sort of jail cell. I saw Esther laying on a cot in the corner of the room, sleeping. It looked like she wasn't shackled, so at least that was good to know. My attention then turned to my leg.

The bullet that some person had shot me with had been taken out, and now my leg was bandaged up. It was clear that these strange men wanted me alive. I wonder for what reason. It at that moment that the door to the cellar swung open, and in walked that guy in the red dinosaur hoodie.

"Oh, I see your awake." He chuckled, crossed his arms and leaned against the cell bars across from me.

"Where are we?! Let me go this instant!" I snapped.

"I'm afraid that won't happen. Anyway, care to tell me your name?" He replied calmly.

"Faith." I mumbled. "And the little girl is Esther."

"Well, Faith... My name is Red. I can assure you that no harm will come to you. After all, your injured. I don't like my meat spoiled." Red said, making me confused. Meat?!

"I can see your confusion. You see, I took the easy way of surviving this zombie apocalypse. I chose cannibalism." Red chuckled, and my eyes widened.

"Wait- So you like, eat people?!?" I gasped in horror. "That's awful! Well, your not touching Esther!" I growled.

"Don't worry. I don't want your little friend either. There isn't enough meat on her bones to even feed one person."

"Then why don't you let us go?!" I growled.

"Have you ever heard of somebody called Nick?" Red questioned.

"No." I shook my head. "Is he one of your men?"

Red sighed. "You two are completely useless to me, then. I might as well free you. I was going to use you to lure Nick and his friends here, but sadly I don't think that will work since you don't know him."

"Really?" I asked hopefully.

"Oh who am I kidding. I wouldn't let you go! Why would I let you go? After all that work just to get you here?" Red started laughing. "Yeah! No." Red continued to laugh as he exited the cellar. I growled. Even if he wasn't going to eat us, I'd rather not stay here.

Esther woke up, and sat up while yawning. She looked at me, and smiled. "Well, your awake."

"I guess that's good. Red just stopped by." I sighed.

"Whose Red?" Esther asked confused.

"Oh, Red is the name of the guy who kidnapped us. You know, the guy in the dinosaur cosplay." I chuckled.

"Oh, him. What did he say?" Esther asked.

"Well, it turns out Red and the rest of his army are cannibals." I sighed.

"What's a cannibal?" She questioned.

"Um... Well... You see... Cannibals are things that eat their own kind... So basically Red eats other humans." I said sadly.

"That's gross." The plainly said. Well that went well. I expected a bigger reaction, but that works too.

"Anyway, we don't have to worry about being eaten. He told me that you had barely any "meat" on your bones, and he told me he didn't want to eat me because I was injures and he doesn't like his meat spoiled." I sighed.

"That's good, right?" Esther asked me.

"In a way, yes. But we're stuck here." I looked down.

"We need to escape." Esther said. She stood up and walked over to the bars. She turned herself sideways, and I watched in awe as she slipped right through the bars, where she was standing on the other side of the bars. Both her and I grinned excitedly, and she slipped back into the cell. She came over to me, sat down beside me and leaned her head against my shoulder.

"We'll plan sometime in the middle of the night to escape. For now, when anyone is down here, stay sitting so they don't realize how thin you are and if your able to slip through the bars." I whispered. She nodded, and after a little bit of time, I heard Espers gentle snores.

But this plan wouldn't work unless the key for my shackles and the key for the cell door was over by the desk in the corner of the room. I looked over at the old brown desk, examining the things ontop of it. There were papers scattered across the desk, and other useless stuff. Finally, my eyes landed on two keys that hung up on the wall. I just hoped that those were the keys to unlock our cell and my shackles. I closed my eyes, and after a few minutes, I fell into a dream less sleep.