Two

"Miss, can you hear me?" a nice voice asks me. I try to open my eyes, and find myself in a well lit room. The brightness almost hurts to my eyes, but I manage to look around. Everything is white, and somehow it feels familiar. "Hello miss, can you tell us who you are?" the nice voice asks again. I shake my head. No, I still can't. I wish I could, but I can't remember a thing. "Do you know anything about your past? A place of birth, your parents, or anything else?" It's still a no for me. "That's a pity... How long have you been like this?" I actually don't know. "How long have I been asleep?" If I know how long that has been, I can do some maths if my head would stop pounding like this. "Only for the night," the friendly lady says. "Then that must have been..." I can't do this. I grab my head with my both hands and massage it. The lady walks around my bed and starts tapping a weird tube connected to my arm. "What's that?" I ask concerned about what they put in my body, but a few seconds later I don't even care anymore. The pain in my head dissappears immediately. "It's morfine, it should ease the pain. Do you feel better already?" I answer with a short "one day." The lady gives me a funny look. "One day?" she asks not knowing what I'm talking about "I woke up last morning, so if I've slept one night, it makes one day." She nods. "Okay then...We have a few options. You could stay here a while, but not forever, or we can place you in a foster family. You can go to school and have some hobbies. Say what you want and we can make it happen." I let her words settle in my mind. "A foster home sounds amazing," is my answer.

"Hey I hear some talking!" Evan walks into the room. I push myself as far as possible back into my pillow. If there was anyone I didn't want to see this moment, it was him. The lady sees the change in my behaviour. "Good day young man, can you please stay back, you're upsetting my patient." "She knows me, she was with me yesterday. Let me just take her home," Evan tries. I shake my head. I don't want this. I won't go home with him, no matter what. Maybe he didn't notice but I had a reason to run off. "I don't think that's a good idea young man. Even if she actually does recognize you, she doesn't seem to like you. So please leave now." She already walks towards Evan en tries to push him to he door. "You'll come back to me! Trust me, you will need me!" Evan shouts before he leaves the room.

"Are you alright darling? You look like you've seen a ghost," the lady says with a calming voice. "Not an actual ghost, but he still creeps the shit out of me," I admit. "What happened? He said he knows you, but does he know anything about you?" The lady is curious. I understand completely because I would be as well if someone who knows nothing about her past just appears. "He claims to be my guardian, whatever that means. He took me home to meditate, but he already scared me, so I ran off." The lady nods. "I am Tara by the way. Please come with me, we will look for a family for you." I get out of bed slowly. My legs don't like it, but I push myself up and start walking. Together we walk to a little office.

We look at some pictures of families which could be mine if I choose them. At the seventh picture I ask her to stop scrolling. What I see is a picture of a woman. She looks like she's thirty although the description says she is forty-eight. Next to her are two kids. A boy who looks my age, and a girl aged about ten. They all look friendly into the camera. "Do they seem like a family you would want to live with?" Tara asks. "I don't know," I confess. "They look nice, but there's something odd about them." The moment I said it I know I shouldn't have. It's rude to judge a book by only its cover, and I feel like that's not who I am, and I feel guilty right away. "Sorry," I say to make up for my fault. "It's alright, take your time, you better choose carefully. You don't want to end up having had multiple foster homes." Tara nods with a comforting smile on her face. I can see she means what she says.

"How about number twelve? Do they seem like people you'd like to live with?" she says after another minute of scrolling. Again I see a woman. This time it's an older one. Next to her stands a man, probably her husband. In front of them there's this girl, looking grateful and happy. "Is she addopted too?" I ask. "She is, just a few weeks ago. I actually know this family would really want another daughter. What do you think?" "I think I want to give these people a try." I nod. This feels like the right decision. "I'll call them. Maybe they'll come here right away, so you might want to change clothes." I look down and see the hospital pajamas I'm wearing. I excuse myself and go back to my room. When I wear what I wore yesterday I sit down on my bed. I sit down and wait, until my new life arrives.