Seven

"Two tickets to Griffith Ave please," Helena says kindly to the bus driver. Today wil be my first day at school. I'm wearing a Salmon pink tanktop with grey ripped jeans and white sneakers. My winged eyeliner is smashing. Helena pays for the tickets and we sit down in the fouth pair of seats on the left.

"Are you nervous?" She asks me to start a conversation and to prevent a silent hour of driving. "To be honest, a little bit," I confess. "You don't have to be ashamed you know? It's perfectly normal to be nervous when you get into a new situation. I was too when it was my first day at work, and I was 23!" She laughs to make me feel comfortable. "Have you ever met the dean before Helena?" I ask. She is the first I will meet when I am at school, so I really want her to think I'm nice. If she already hates me, why should anyone else think different? Helena must have noticed the look of pure panic in my eyes, because she puts an arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer. "No I haven't, but a friend of mine has, and she says it is a lovely woman," she calms me down.

"Next stop, Griffith Ave. Next stop, Griffith Ave," a cracking voice speaks through the bus. I look at Helena. Is this it? Will she come with me or am I supposed to go on my own from here? Before I can asks she stands up and pulls me up too. "Come on, we don't have eternity to get off the bus," she smiles.

We walk another few blocks through the city until I see a huge building emerging in front of me. The big sign says "Los-A high, The place to be for students." I immediately stop walking. I can't do this. This is too much there will be judgy mean girls and bad boys who smoke. In the moment it scares the heck out of me. "Come Kayla, the dean is waiting," Helena says with a calm voice. She saw the fear on my face, but still tries to get me into this hell. "Nope, I'm sorry but I can't do this. I can't be the new one," I demur. "What are you talking about?" Helena asks, " Don't you know it's the start of a new semester? There will be a lot of new kids in your class." "Really?" I semi-scream. It makes me a lot more relaxed. Still, I will be the girl who doesn't know where she came from, but I might not be the only weird one with no friends yet. It sound terrible to be happy if there's someome without friends out there. It sounds very egoistic, and I stop myself from thinking like that. With renewed confidence I walk towards the school's headword.

I set one step through the door and already there's this woman coming my way. "Are you Kayla Adams?" she asks. How did she guess? I'm like one of the hundreds of new students. I nod yes because she keeps staring at me in a creepy way. "My name is dean Matlock. Let me show you around!" My shoulder already hurts because of the heavy bag filled with books I'm carrying. "Don't worry, you'll get used to it," she whispers into my ear as if she knew what I was thinking. I ban the thought from my brain. This is rediculus Kayla... There's no such thing as the ability of reading minds. And even if there was, why would she uncover her secret this easy? I shake it off and follow Mrs. Matlock through the hallway. She shows me the cafeteria and the lockers. My locker has the number 2611. I write down the number with the code to unlock it. I'm the kind of girl who can remember everything she has to learn but forgets to take lunch or forgets the code for her locker.

A boy walks past us. "Young man, aren't you supposed to be in class already?" Mrs Matlock asks with suspision in her voice. The boy lifts his shoulders as if he doesn't care. He turns around and walks away. "Young man!" Matlock shouts but he doesn't respond. "That's detention for you!" The boy turns around. "I don't care, I was already signed up for that!" He winks at me. "No problem at all," Mrs. Matlock answers, "you just got yourself signed up for the whole week." "Okay, See you there Mrs. M!" After saying that he leaves again. Mrs. Matlock sighs. "See you there Schott." I feel Helena's arm on my shoulders. "Promise me to never become like that, please," she whispers in my ear. I don't respond. I will never be like that but I kinda thought it was hot.

"Miss Adams, let's go to my office, there's some paperwork to do before you can start you classes." I sigh. Paperwork is the last I would want to do right now. But it's probably the only way to get in school so let's just get this over with.

"So your name is Kayla Adams?" I nod. "Date of birth?" I don't answer. "July 14th 1999," Helena answers without hesitating. I look at her with a questioning face. Helena doesn't look back, so I think I just have to shut up. Why would she say it without a reason? Helena answers a few more questions about where I came from, what hospital I was in and more of that stuff. "If you follow me, I will take you to your first class," Mrs. Marlock says while geting up from her chair. "It's time to say goodbye sweetheart, I'm going home," Helena says. "I'll leave you to it. I wait for you in the hallway." Mrs. Matlock turns around and closes the door as she walks trough it.

"Why did you lie?" I ask Helena. "The wouldn't accept you if whe didn't answer so this is the best I could do. "Can you get into trouble because of this?" I ask concerned. "Yes, it's called fraude. But it's worth every single risk." We get up and she takes me in her arms. "Are you going to be okay?" she asks concerned. "I really hope so!" I sigh, and let go of her. "There's only one way to find out," she says while opening the door. "Have fun dear," is the last thing she says before leaving me.