Ten

After dinner Violet goes straight upstairs for a teaparty with her stuffed animals. It gives me the opportunity to talk to Helena and Adrien. "How was school today?" Adrien asks. This is the moment. If I play it the right way, they can't go against my request. "It was okay, I guess," I start. "That doesn't sound enthusiastic..." Adrien answers. "I met some azing girls and they invited me to a party this weekend," I go on. "I don't understand... To me that sounds like something great," Adrien says while shaking his head. "You're right! It is, but when I didn't know the adress and they asked for my number so they could trxt it and I couldn't give one, they laughed at me." Okay, I know that's not exactly the truth and I feel horrible already for pretending it is. But there's no going back from here, or they will never believe me. So I put on a sad face and look Adrien and Helena in their eyes. "Is that so?" Helena says. I nod. "They should be ashamed of themselves," Adrien adds. "And you shouldn't care about it, Kayla. Why does it bother you?" Helena asks. "Because I have like zero friends." Oh god... why is lying this easy? I don't want to lie to my new parents! I feel really bad, and I don't even have to pretend to be sad. "We can't give you a phone Kayla," Helena says. "We can't afford that," she explains. "Besides, a phone is nonsense. It's only distraction while doing homewor," Adrien asks Nooo! It almost worked! I was so close, and I still lost! I nod. "I understand. Having two children isn't cheap." I get up and excuse myself. I have to go upstairs and think about what to do now.

"Kayla! Come and have tea with me and Mrs Roo!" Violet shout when I walk past her room. I peek through the door and see Violet sitting at a tiny table together with a stuffed kangaroo. I open the door completely and join the two. Violet's room is the most adorable room I've ever seen. The walls are pink and white, the bed is shaped like a castle and there are a lot of toys like a doll house and a teaparty table.

I sit there with Violet for then minutes to drink my tea (water) out of a tiny cup. About halfway Helena comes into the room and asks if she can join as well. For some reason I don't really get Violet sends her away. "Fine," Helena says, "But it's bad time soon, young lady!" And then, a few minutes later, it is indeed time. I kiss Violet good night and go to my own room.

I grab my laptop and lie down with it on my bed. I heard some girls at school talking about a site where you can connect with everyone. You can share pictures and tell everyone how your day has been. What was the name again? How can I be so stupid to forget the name of te site? It was something about a book. Sharebook? Showbook? Book of life? I really can't recall so I just put in to google: book to share your life. When I see the first result I know that that's what I'm looking for. Facebook.

When I'm at the site I go to 'Sign in.' I have to fill in a shitlode of personal information. My date of birth, where I live, where I go to school etcetera etcetera. It scares me off. This information will be shown to the whole world, so if I go on, everyone existing will know who Kayla Adams is.

After a few minutes of staring at my screen and deciding what to do i have the solution. I fill in fake answers on every question. Except for my name, I want the people to see my name, so they can recognise it's me. I get to the last open space, which asks me to upload a photo. I start panicking again. I don't have any photos! What do I do? I try to go to the next page without uploading a photo but the site refuses. Not because I don't have a profile picture but because my date of birth is too late so I'm too young for Facebook... I change my date of birth and it works!

I search for some friends and add them. Yamile, luckily for me, is online. I open a chat and start talking to her.

Me: Hey Yamile! Spoke to my parents about getting a phone, they won't let me have one...
Her: That's too bad! Why?
Me: Helena says it's too expensive and Adrien thinks it's just a stupid thing.
Her: that sucks! It's really useful to have a phone! We have a chat with the whole class in which we discuss homework, and group assignments!
Me: That will be a problem... But hey! About the party... Do I need to bring something?
Her: Nope! I have clothes for you to wear.  I'll do your hair and makeup as well.

I yawn. Without noticing it's ten pm already. It was an exhausting day, so maybe I should catch some sleep.

Me: Thank you, that's really nice. But I'm off now, really tired.

Her: No problem! See you tomorrow!

Me: bye!
Her: bye

I brush my teeth and go to bed. I find a book right next to my bed, I think maybe Helena and Adrien put it there. I pick it up and start reading, but I never made it past page 2, because I fell asleep.