Five

I hear some voices coming from the left when I walk down the stairs, so that's where I decide to go. I hope the others are there. I walk into a kitchen. Adrien, Helena and Violet are already sitting at a kind of bar. Helena heard me coming down the stairs and turns around to face me. "Please sit down, we have a lot to talk about," she says friendly and points at a barstool.

"So... These are the only clothes you have, right?" Adrien asks. "Yes they are." I feel a blush coloring my cheeks red. "I think that's step one then," Helena says with a smile on her face. "After lunch, I take you and Violet shopping." Violet jumps up from her barstool when she hears what Helena says. "Me too?" she shouts. "Do I get new clothes as well?" Adrien grins. "Maybe darling, but not very many. Our priority is that Kayla gets some clothes, and as you know we don't have a lot of money to spend on extras. The house and all the stuff we bought for in your room and for Kayla's were expensive enough." Violet calms down and nods. "I can live with that. As long as I can go with mommy and Kayla."

She starts eating again and I discover a plate standing untouched under my nose . A bit ashamed I start eating as well. I sigh out of pure pleasure. The meal feels like a thousand little tapdancers on my tongue. Halfway my sigh I remember the people sitting around me who can now possibly hear me making this weird sound. "Haha, do you like it?" Helena asks smiling. "It's delicious!" I shout. "What is it?" "It's quiche. I hope you don't mind that we're vegetarians..." She says it like an announcement but I know it's meant as a question. "I can't recall eating any meat, so I don't mind not trying," is my answer. It still feels weird to tell all those recular stuff I don't really know about. When we're all finished Adrien gets our plates and tells us we should go. It's already three pm and we have a lot of shopping to do.

When we get to the mall I can't believe my eyes. This place is huge! I see like 3 toyshops, 2 bride boutiques, 14 clothes shops and a lot more! I'm almost afraid to ask, because I feel a bit ashamed of it. "Ahum," I start, "In what city are we actually? No one told me yet," I confess. "This is the city of Los Angeles my dear, the City of Angels," Helena answers. That kind of explains it. Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities in the world! How lucky am I! I wake up in a city I don't recognise, in a world I can't remember living in, and it's Los freaking Angeles! I can't wait to explore this city.

We start at a little boutique called Mary's Angels. I love everything they have, and because of that, so does Violet. With everything I try on, Violet starts shouting she wants it too. To bad for her that there are only adult's sizes so she doesn't fit in anything.

In the next shop they do have children's clothes, but to make sure I don't have to wear the same as Violet does, Helena tells me to go look for myself, while she goes with Violet. I walk through the shop, and feel hundreds of different fabrics, see thousands of different patters and bump into ten different people. Not long after that, I have my arms packed with clothes. They're all beautiful and very bright in color. I walk towards the fitting booths and try everything on. Everything fits amazing, and I kind of don't like that. This means I'll have to choose which ones I want to take home, instead of letting fate decide. I leave the top with the V-neck and the skyblue undies behind.

I search for Helena and Violet, but I can't find them anywhere. I start to panic. Where could they be? They would wait for me at the children's department! Maybe they went looking for me, and when they couldn't find me they left! I feel dizzy. They can't be gone! But what if they are? I'll be lost again in this big city!

"Breathe Kayla, breathe!" I say to myself. I close my eyes and focus on breathing. I calm down and I suddenly know what to do, where to go. After two minutes I found them at the service desk. "There you are," Helena sighs relieved. "I thought we might have lost you. Have you found everything?" She asks while taking me in her arms. I nod and show her the pink dress with the low back, the blue skirt and the turquoise pumps I picked. "Those are really nice! Now let's go pay, and go home. Your father will have dinner ready in half an hour I think." And so we do.

In the car Violet shows everything she got. A white dress, black sneakers and a cute pink hair ribbon. After a few minutes the frequency of words coming out of Violet decreases. A few minutes later her head drops against the window and her breathing gets steady. "It was an exhausting day wasn't it," Helena says. Because of all the clothing on the backseat I got to sit in the front next to her. "How are you doing? Are you tired as well? This day must have been tough for you as well." She places her hand on my thigh. "I'm okay, thanks you," I say, but because of the gasp afterwards it's not very convincing. "Try to sleep a bit, I will wake you when we get home," Helena convinces me. I slowly put my head against the window, and within a few seconds I fall asleep.