Eight

Mrs. Matlock walks me to my first classroom; Biology. I'm pretty nervous because I'm starting to think Helena lied to me. I'm the only new one in class today. Why would I be the only one to get a tour if I wasn't the only one?

"Here it is, room 104," Mrs. Matlock says and we stop in front of a door. Next to the door are windows which give me the opportunity to peek into the classroom. I see a lot of different people. Girls with high ponytails, short hair and long wavy locks. Boys with jackets, shirts and sweatshirts. Mrs. Matlock knocks on the door and opens it. "Welcome Mrs. Matlock, what can I do for you?" a bold old man asks. "I have a new student for you," Mrs. Matlock answers. "How delightfull." I can hear the sarcasm in his voice without trouble. Why does the first teacher I have in my whole life have to be a cranky old dude who should retire? I feel Mrs. Matlock's soft hand in my back, pushing me through the door. All eyes are focussed on me. Again, I'm in the centre of attention. Why does this keep happening?

"Please tell us more about yourself," the teacher says, but I just feel he's not really interested. I knoe noone in this room really is, so I don't feel like talking about me. "I'm Kayla Adams, 17 years old. That's all I have to tell." I look at my right and see that Mrs. Matlock has already gone. I didn't hear her leave, it's like she just disappeared, vanished in the air. "Please, take a seat miss Adams, I would like to move on with the lesson," the teacher says. I take the seat on the second row, next to a girl with dark hair, tied up in a bun, brown eyes and a blue dress. "Hi, I'm Yamile. Nice to meet you," she says to me. "Hi, the pleasure is all mine," I answer politely. "I like you," Yamile smiles. Her teeth are shining white and straight. "Miss Adams, you've already missed the first semester, maybe you should pay attention." I sigh and get my stuff on the table. I get my pen and notebook but after only five seconds of paying attention my thoughts wonder off. Because he's there, on the front row. Scott, the bad boy I met in the hallway just half an hour ago. With his leather jacked and his ripped jeans I can't say anything else but that he's hot.

Yamile shoves a little paper under my nose. 'It's rude to stare,' is says. My cheeks go red abd I look at her. She can hardly cover that she's about to burst in laughter. 'Was it that obvious?' I write down on the paper and I slide it back to her. 'I'm sorry, yes it was,' I get in return. Yamile grabs back the paper and starts writing again. I look up to the teacher to cover the conversation going on here. But it's no use. "You can read it aloud if you would like," the teacher's voice almost echos through the room. He looks right at us. His eyes are like a hawk's searching for its prey. I don't even know what Yamile was writing! It could be really embarrassing, maybe revealing who it is about! "Well?" the teacher asks impatiently.

"It's rude to stare," Yamile starts. "Was it that obvious? I'm sorry, yes it was. Don't go for him, he's nothing but bad news, he will only have a bad influence. That's what bad boys are," she ends. I groan. It's impossible to not know who this is about. Great job Kayla, you've only been in school for ONE day and you have already made yourself look like a fool. I peek at Scott to see his reaction but he hasn't even turned around. Maybe he doesn't know it was about him? But that's impossible right? "Can we continue with the lesson? Or do you girls want to talk about this more on your way to the principal?" Yamile and I shake our heads and all the attention moves to the front of the classroom again, accept for mine.

What did Yamile mean with 'He's nothing but bad news', and 'he will only have a bad influence'? Is he really a bad boy, or is it just pretending? And why do I feel attracted to that? I would like to be the good girl, not the one flirting the bad boys. But I just can't help it, and I start staring again.

"Class dismissed," the teacher says when the bell rings. We all walk through the door at the same time, trying to get away as fast as possible. When I get through someone grabs my wrist and pulls me aside. Scott pushes me against the wall and whispers in my ear: "You're cute, but I don't think you could handle me." He backs of a bit but still doesn't give me any space to move. "What makes you think that," I say while moving my face closer to his. "My blond hair? My pink clothes? Or maybe my honest blue eyes?" He definitely didn't see this coming. I lean in a little bit more to tell him he can't scare me with his reputation when I get pulled away. "Stay away Scott!" Yamile shouts over her shoulder while dragging me with her. I turn around and give him my sweetest smile. He won't forget me soon.

"Are you okay?" Yamile asks when we are a few meters away from Scott. "Yeah I am! I was doing just fine!" I start getting a bit mad at Yamile. How could she do this? I don't need protection. I can see the indignation on her face. "Oh I'm sorry, I thought that you were getting attacked by him! I warned you about him! Why didn't you listen?" I calm down a bit. I was hard on her, she was only trying to help. "Thank you," I say, hoping she will forgive me. "No problem, but please stay away from him... I meant what I said... He is nothing but trouble," she tries to persuade me. I nod, even though I don't really mean it. "Good, now let's go grab some lunch," she ends our little conversation.