Four

After we prepared the papers and I thought of a signature I can go home with Helena and Violet. It takes us an hour driving to get home. An hour full of laughter hugs and Violet touching my hair, saying: "It's so soft! How did you get it like this?" All I do is nod and smile at her. After only five minutes Helena asks if she can maybe shut up, and give me some rest. She actually sounds a bit mean. In what world is it normal to say 'shut up' to a child? I say I don't mind, that I kind of like the attention, and Helena lets it be.

"How about some music ladies?" Helena asks us. Without waiting for an answer Helena pushes some buttons and suddenly the car is filled with sound. "O gosh, how I love this song," Helena sighs. 'I've been waiting for so long. For something to arrive,' a young woman's voice goes around in the car. I don't know who she is, but I can relate to her... 'For love to come along,' the woman continues and my eyes fill with tears. Why does this happen? Why do I cry about this? "Maybe you have waited for love to come along too," Helena answers from the front of the car, to the question my eyes asked, but my mouth couldn't. "Could be... I don't know," I say while wiping the tears from my eyes. "I really hope we can give it to you Kayla, I really do," is the last thing Helena says to me before turning her eyes back to the road. Only her mentioning she hopes she can give it fills my eyes with tears again. I don't say it aloud, but I sure hope she can read my mind again. "Thanks."

"Welcome home," Helena says when she stops the car and she makes a gesture to the house across the road. I look outside the window and see this big mansion. Is this really where I'll be living? This place is huge! Violet gets out the car and runs around it to open the door for me. She pulls me out and together we walk, well... run, to the front door. She rings the bell once, twice, and she is about to do it a third time but right before her finger touches it a man opens. "Easy Violet, that's not necessa-..." and he stops talking. "Wow," is the first thing he says after. I blush. Why do I have this effect on people? It's not that I'm really crowned to be miss universe or something... I'm just a regular girl, right? "I'm sorry," he apologises. He must have seen the discomfort on my face. "My name is Adrien, and welcome to the Adams's." He smiles and motions I should come in.

I walk through a hallway into the livingroom. Immediately my eyes fill with tears again. Where does al the salty water come from? The whole place is decorated with balloons and garlands saying 'Welcome home,' and, 'We already love you.' "Don't cry Kayla! Don't be sad! These are for you! Because we have been waiting for you!" Violet tries to wipe the tears from my cheeks, but she is too short and can't reach. I turn around to Helena and Adrien. "Thank you so much! This is everything I could ever have wished for!" I sob. "Are you sure? You haven't seen your room yet," Helena grins. Violet gets excited. "Can I show her mommy? Can I, can I please?" she asks while jumping up and down. "Haha sure sweetie," Helena says, but before she is even done speaking Violet has already grabbed my hand and she pulls me to the stairs.

"Are you ready?" she asks when we hold still in front of a closed door. She doesn't even wait for my answer and just opens the door and pushes me in.

I gasp. "It's wonderful," I whisper. The walls are mostly white, but it has a slight blue touch in it. The windows are huge, and my view is amazing. The ceiling is painted like it's made out of clouds. The place is joyfully decorated with plants, paintings and other tiny things that make this place cosy. And my bed... My bed looks like the most soft bed ever made. Violet notices me looking at it. "I know right! I chose your bed!" I can hear she is very proud of it. "Do you like it?" I hear a voice behind me. "I love it, it feels so much like a home!" I walk towards the bed and sit down. I was right, it's so soft it feels like I disappear into the mattress. "Come Violet, let's give Kayla some time to settle," Helena calls Violet back.

When they are gone I start walking around. My desk is white with some golden edges. I discover a little grey laptop on it. They've litterally thought of anything! I walk towards the window and discover it's not a window, but a door. A door leading to a balcony. I walk outside and lean on the wooden railing. The view is amazing. It's an open field cracked by a river. Behind the river I see a forest. It's looks so alive and healthy! I see the deers running and the bunnies hopping. I breath in the fresh air and close my eyes. I have no idea how long I've been standing there but it was magical.

But then I get sucked into real life again by Adrien calling for me. "Yes?" I say while getting back in the house. "Lunch is ready, please join in," he answers with a soft voice. "I'm coming!" I shout and run downstairs. I can't wait for my life with this family to begin.