16

"Archer," I say standing up. He looks up at me from his swing. His face holds no regret what so ever, just fear. He stands up too, towering over me.

"It's just a courtship. If you end up not wanting to be with me it's over. You keep your spot as head track-"

"Head tracker? Since when was I head tracker?" I ask him shocked. My heart is beat harshly against my chest. It seems as if I can't catch my breath. Archer puts his hands on my shoulders, his wolf probably senses mines own panic.

"I promoted you after you saved me, we just haven't had the time to announce it. Reagan," he says in a deeper tone, one I'm not used to.

"Archer?"

"Just a courtship, not even an engagement. This is just to see if we could be together as who we are. It's not like I'm saying you have to marry me or be rogue. I would never do that to anyone," he says shaking his head. A courtship?

"I can't be-"

"It doesn't matter that you are a runt! Reagan, listen to the words that leave my mouth okay? Being you, being a runt is just fine. If anything it makes you stronger. I see how you care for this pack even though they are awful to you. You have potential to be a Luna. Many people think that."

"It's a courtship! You know what that means right? People will think that-"

"Anyone who does is desperate. Don't even mention my father because my mother has agreed to let me do this and that all I need."

"What about my father?" I squeak out. Archer lets out a frustrated growl. He clearly has thought about this a lot and I'm not going by the script in his mind. That happens to me a lot. People not following the dang script.

"I talked to him. I told him how it was none of his business, so I asked your brothers who were very happy about it," he explains while grabbing my hands. He presses something into my hands. My brothers and sister. Its been so long since I've talked to them.

"Archer," I whisper not know what else to say.

"I'm going to go. Tomorrow, if you have that on or not, when you come down I'll know. If you don't want, nothing will change between us." He says as he takes an unwanted step back from me. I catch the slightest shift of his eye color. It sounds as if his voice had catched while he was talking. Have I made my Alpha want approval from me, a runt? My wolf seems to hum and prounce in pleasure at this thought. Though when I see his face for the last time 'till morning I see the truth. He's so scared that he's going to his wolf for support.

"Shell," I whine as she lays down with me. We've been in Archers room since Archer and I came back. Well, i came back, he kinda left me at the park and didn't return last night.

"He simply doesn't care you are a runt and that is the type of guy you need. I've told you this time and time again. Forget Wen. He had his chance and blew it!"

"But Archer is our Alpha."

"You like him, you admit that so just try it. Like he said it's just a courtship. Hell, a werewolf courtship not the weird human kind. He'll take you with him to other packs, he'll treat you right. You are already sleeping in his room! You aren't engaged. This is like the engagement to be engaged okay?" She says making me laugh. Only she would say it that way.

"Yeah," I mutter while I laugh. She holds up the necklace Archer gave me. Our courtship necklace. It's different from most.

"At least it's pretty," she says putting it on me. The chain is a bright shiny silver. On it is a brown tinted glass acorn with a maple leaf in it. The maple for his family name. Acer. I laugh. "What?"