6: Hunter's Curse

~Are you ready for this intense chapter? Kenzie is about to go through a lot 😯😢

GOAL: 18 VOTES & 4 COMMENTS

Chapter Six

I laid still on my back, panting hard after a bad nightmare, reliving killing Connor. Except he said more harsh words and I drew out his death. It was gory and creepty. Made me feel more ashamed of who I was becoming. I was on the verge of tears but was trying to hold myself together. I reached for my phone, deciding I needed to cave in. I needed Stefan.

I called him quickly as I snuggled tighter in my covers, just wishing he was here holding me. I only let it ring twice before I hung up. No. I could do this without him. I didn't want to be a weak little girl who couldn't handle themselves. I was going to make it through a bad night without him. Without forgiving him by default because I wanted him. Needed him. What I really needed was to depend on myself, not my boyfriend.

I forced myself out of bed, deciding a nice glass of warm milk and a few snacks would make me feel better and forget about it all. When I got to the kitchen I grabbed a mug, filling it with milk. I then put in the microwave while I searched the cabinets. Yes, cookies and chips. I was going to have a good early morning snack.

I was munching mindlessly on a handful of chips while staring at the microwave. But with every bite I took I could hear it loud in my ears, reminding me of the crunching sound I made when I bit into Connor. I groaned in annoyance, closing the bag and tossing it to the side, My guilt was out of control and I didn't know how to accept my own actions.

I ran my hands through my hair in frustration, tired beyond belief. "Can't sleep?" A voice suddenly said, catching my attention. I jumped and looked behind me, thinking I heard Connor's voice. I didn't see him or anyone. I was startled again, but this time by the microwave beeping loudly.

I sighed and opened it, grabbing the mug. As I shut the microwave door and turned to head to my room Connor was in front of me. "You know... it makes sense," he said, looking at me. His blood still poured down his neck from where I bit him earlier, staining the top of his tank top. "Guilty conscience."

I stepped back, shaking my head. Putting my mug down on the counter as my hands started shaking, in fear. "You're not here. I'm... I've gotta be dreaming," I mumbled, feeling confused. And if I wasn't dreaming, I was going to call Stefan. Cause I was losing my mind and I needed him. Clearly, I couldn't handle this.

Connor turned and took a step towards me. "How do you know that I'm not here?" He asked me while I stepped back, trying to keep a small distance between us.

"Because you're d--d--" I couldn't get it out.

"Go on, say it," he dared, standing in front of me with this intimidating look on his face.

I took a shaky breath trying to just say it out loud, maybe he'll go away. "Because you're dead," I said, gulping.

"Yes, I am. Was that the first time you've taken a human life?" He asked, tilting his head while a condescending look took over his face.

"You're a ghost. That's gotta be it. You're a ghost," I mused. "That's what's happening right now. Jer--Jeremy. Jeremy!" I shouted for his help. I closed my eyes trying to ease my own mind, that I knew was playing tricks on me. "You're a ghost. You're haunting me. You're a ghost. You're haunting me," I chanted.

"Can a ghost do this?" He asked just as I opened my eyes. Suddenly his arm was around my neck and he was choking me. I grunted before grabbing at his arm and pushing him off with a lot of strength. I then pushed him back roughtly and he stumbled, falling onto the kitchen table with a small thud.