16: Burn

~Hey! So good chapter coming up! Little intense. But good relationship dynamics of you pick up on them. More character development for Kenzie, in a rather different way. Ups and downs on her road to recovery. Thanks for still following along. Love you all! 😘❤️

GOAL: 16 VOTES & 6 COMMENTS!

Chapter Sixteen

"Jeremy!" I shouted, leaving Stefan's side and rushing forward as I found my brother laying on the floor. I dropped by his body and lifted his head up, seeing his neck snapped and nose was bleeding prior. "No, no," I cried.

I craded his head to my chest as I tried to process. "Oh, God," I sobbed and then let him go, reaching down for his hand and checking for the Gilbert ring. I gasped as I found it still on him. Thank God. "It's fine," I sniffled. "It's fine. It's fine. You're gonna be okay. The ring will bring you back. It's okay. It's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay, Jeremy. You't gonna be fine," I sobbed, rocking him in my arms.

***

I unlocked the front door and let it open for Stefan to walk through. "Hey, you're home," came Caroline's familiar voice. "I was trying to clean up the burn mark where Kol--I couldn't get the spot out."

"Come on, let's get him upstairs," I told Stefan, stepping around him to go up the stairs while he carried Jeremy who was wrapped in a green blanket as he followed me. We went to his bedroom where Stefan laid him down on his bed and I took the green blanket off and tucked Jer in his own covers instead.

I sat by Jeremy's bedside and gripped his hands in mine, looking down at the Gilbert ring. I needed him to wake up. In general I needed my little brother. I needed my best friend. "Can I get you anything?" Stefan asked me.

"No, I'm fine," I mumbled, not even bothering to look at him. "I'm just going to sit here and wait with him until he wakes up." I then glaced over at Stefan real quick, "Let me know if you hear anything about Bonnie, okay?"

"Yeah, sure," he whispered. Then I heard his footsteps as he left the room. I sat there for awhile before deciding I was still starving. Jeremy would be fine if I went and made myself a large sandwich. Or maybe Stefan can make me one. He makes the best sandwiches.

"She knows that, right?" I hear Caroline asked as I descended the steps. Then water started running. But it didn't matter cause I was just by the front door now.

"Look. Deep down, I think she has to. But we're talking about Kenzie here. She feels grief more powerfully than anyone else. I think her denial is protecting her from letting it all in," I heard Stefan say softly.

"She can't stay like that forever."

"I know," Stefan said. "But I don't wanna be the one to break her out of it. Not until we know Bonnie's safe. Not until we get Damon over her to, you know."

I then decided to head towards the kitchen to join them. "Use the sire bond to convince her that everything is okay," Caroline replied.

"I'm not in denial," I stated when I reached the doorway of the kitchen. Stefan was leaning his back against the counter top, in front of the sink and Caroline stood in front of him with her back turned to me. She quickly spun around and Stefan slowly stood up and cut off the running faucet.