22: Dance With Me

Chapter Twenty-Two

"Where's the disco ball?" Damon asked. He was to my right. Stefan was to my left, our arms attached at our elbows. And on my right, Damon did the same with Rebekah who was on his left. The two being the only ones who waited for us outside the limo. So here we were walking up a red carpet.

"Caroline's been working on this for a while. It's a photo yearbook of the senior class," Stefan explained to him. My eyes moved left to right over the screens playing slideshows of different picures of everyone in our grade. There was one of Caroline and Matt, clearly being caught making out at the Grill.

"Isn't that photo from Jeremy's first day?" Stefan asked and I felt my stomach drop as I looked at it. I stood in the middle of Jeremy and Matt. I was hugging Jer with both arms despite Matt grinning and having an arm around my shoulder while Jeremy was smiling at me, though I know he wanted me to let go. It was the same picture that used to be hung up in my room. When Stefan and I first started seeing each other.

"Elena took that before our mom dropped us off at school," I said, stepping forward and losing Stefan's arm, though I wanted him to hold me close right now. To stop this wrecthing pain beginning to grow in my chest.

The picture slowly faded to one of just Jer and I and I bit my lip to hold back tears. We were in the kitchen, our arms around eaach other's waist, both of us smiling. Him more than me. It wasn't from too long ago. He was taller than me in this one. And neither of us were going through a bad phase.

"I'm gonna get a seizure if I keep looking at these screens," I said, turning around and watching Stefan's face crumble with the pain he felt for me. Damon and Rebekah stepped inside while Stefan removed his jacket from my shoulders and slipped it on himself. "I miss him, Stef."

"I know you do," he said, his arms wrapping around me, keeping me warm.

"I want him back," I whimpered.

"I wish I could bring him back, baby girl. I really wish I could," he whispered in my ear and I looked at the screens in front of us, chuckling as I saw one of Stefan and I. We were at the Grill with all our friends. I had chocolate syrup all over my mouth and falling to my chin. And there was my boyfriend, one hand holding a napkin and the other covered in chocolate too. I was leaning to kiss him but he was too busy trying to avoid it and clean me up first.

"I remember that night," I chuckled and he placed a kiss to my cheek.

"I remember that one," he said as it changed. It was he and I on a different screen from a decade dance. The last one. With me in a little flapper dress and him in his sexy blue suit.

"Mm. You held me so close that night," I grinned, biting my lip as I remembered how it felt dancing with HIM. The last time I danced was the night with Damon, before we slept together for the first time. And the time before that with Damon, at the college Halloween party when things got a little too much. "Am I gonna have to beg you to dance tonight?" I asked Stefan.

"Only because I like when you beg," he teased and I rolled my eyes. I guess it was true. It was the second time he's said that, that he liked seeing me beg. He's a creep. But he's my little, squishy creep.

"Why?" I asked, my eyes still on the screen. It was Bonnie and Jer now. And the one behind it was Stefan and Caroline sitting at a table, both laughing while facing the camera.

"Because your eyes get all big and you looked so annoyed it's cute. Nose scrunched up, lips pouty and your tugging on me desperately. It's a nice feeling to feel wanted," he said and I grinned at him.

"My pout isn't cute. I look like a pug with my nose scrunched up. You infuriate me when you deny me what I want at the moment. Big eyes remind me of ugly little bugs," I retorted. "I am not cute. How is that cute?"