12: Kol Trouble

~Heyyyy! So bear with me, we're getting closer to decision time. And then from there it's gonna be time to decide on a sequel or not. I have a few plans but I'll let them wait a while before I share 🙊🙊

Chapter Twelve

I heard grunting, growling, and soft yells. I ran outside the empty house into the woods, following the sounds. I immediately found the source. Some vampire trying to attack Matt. I came up behind him unnoticed and snapped his neck without hesitation and threw him off of Matt who was on the ground under him.

I leaned down to look at my friend on the floor, "Are you okay?" I helped him too his feet quickly and checked him over, seeing his bleeding neck. He was already bit. "Oh, my God."

"Get to the house. Hurry," a familiar voice came. I looked to see it was Jer. With a nod the three of us began sprinting to the lake house that wasn't too far away. Matt was the first in and then I stopped at the door with Jer.

"Jeremy, what's going on?" I asked him.

"They're coming," he said, standing in the doorway. He walked inside while I looked behind us noticing tons of approaching bodies. I hurried inside, slamming the door closed, knowing they couldn't get in.

***

"Sun's up. They're long gone," Jeremy said, staring out the window while I wiped the blood off Matt's neck. I looked up as I spotted Damon entering the room.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I spat out, getting to my feet as I had been kneeling in front of Matt who sat on the couche. "All I asked you to do was teach him how to fight."

"He's not the best student in the world," Damon said, holding a bottle of bourbon and pouring it into a glass.

"Wait. Now, this is my fault?" Jerem asked him.

"Stop talking," Damon told him and I bit my tongue to prevent myself from arguing with him about how he treated my little brother. "Look, I know you're angry," he said, turning his attention back to me. "But my way was the easiest, fastes, and safest way to complete his mark to get you the cure."

"I don't care about the cure, Damon," I said. "Not if it means putting the people I love in danger."

"Hey, there would've been no danger if he hadn't gone all bleeding-heart."

"He killed someone," I reminded him, stepping around the couch so Damon and I were face to face. "These were innocent people."

"The mark grew, didn't it?" He retorted. He had that crazed look in his eye. The one that said he was only going to get more defensive if I kept it up.

I sighed, running my fingers through my messy hair. "Okay, look, we need a plan. There's a group of compelled vampire out there. And as soon as the sun goes down, they're gonna come after Matt. So we have to find a way to protect them."

I was filled in. Klaus had killed a bunch of humans, putting them in transition so Jeremy could kill of them. And for some insane reason, Damon agreed and took the boys to the place where Klaus and the vampires awaited. And Klaus threw in an incentive for Jeremy, to kill them by saying if he didn't kill them then they were going to be compelled to kill Matt.

"Yes, I know," Damon told me, walking around me and over to Jer. "But there will be no problem when Big Jer and I here go on a hunting expedition."

I watched him as hee wrapped an arm around Jer's back and clasped his shoulder. Damon sending me a cute, charming smile. I stared at him in shock and confusion, ready to protest against this idea. "Kenzie, I know it's tragic. I get it," Damon said, before I could speak. "We also agreed that he had to kill them. Now we have added incentive. So you take the least most-valuable player home and Jeremy and I will finish this."