Chapter five: Silver 2028 Jeep Serenata

With my new black bear fur scarf tucked into my leather jacket, I felt toasty as we made our way through the dense jungle. Noah sowed his share of the bear's fur to the inside of his jacket and inside his boots for warmth. It wasn't freezing cold or anything, but according to my phone, it's like fifty-one degrees out today.

The sun just poked through the trees creating a picture-perfect moment scene as the morning dew just began settling on the trees. The vast amounts of grass covering every inch of the forest like a natural blanket of lush blades.

Some large-leaved plants had water dripping off the their ends and running down vines. It created a soft stream with a pleasant sound of running water like as if it was dripping off of a gutter. I never took notice of the thousands of colors coiled into each dazzling leaf and stem of the countless plant life. 

"Okay," Noah grunted, leaning on a perfectly pebble-shaped rock that seemed to be the size of a semi-truck. It was half-missing in a mess of vines and plants. Now that its come to my attention, there were numerous amounts of them scattered all over the place in various sizes and slightly different shapes but all were in a round or oval egg form. In between the larger ones were small streams that would run off through the air from the small cliffs above.

He looked to the tree that the rock was nestled under. "I haven't questioned this 'quest' we're on, but now my feet hurt and I need to know how the hell you know where you are going."

"Well, then there's something else I need to show you then because that's kind of what I need you for," I stated as I joined him on the round rock. I pulled off the bow that I had over my chest and sighed while handing him my satchel. He took it curiously and undid the string latch by unlooping the string from around the small ball making up the lock. He opened it cautiously to reveal a rugged notebook.

He probably hasn't seen real paper in years on top of years. This was a real as it got. It took me by surprise that they used trees to make this fragile object. One mistreatment and it rips or tears, man the early 2000's must have been excruciating.

He flipped ever so carefully through the pages and discovered that it was a journal of some sort, but some gut feeling is telling him that he's seen this handwriting before. Then he thought about the situation at hand.

"Dad kept a journal?" he asked me tentatively.

"Yea what I don't get is, why on...paper?" I countered.

"Well paper isn't exactly hackable, now is it?" he scoffed caustically. The more he flipped, the more he seemed like he was absorbing the inked information. "There are all sorts of equations and fundamentals of physics written all throughout here."

I settled in for nerd talk hoping I may be able to catch at least some of it, but my face gave away my deflecting mindset.

"Not to bore you with the details, but these are all ways to make energy last longer. I'm not completely sure how, but he seemed to be making progress on it." He looked through the book again and again. "He seemed to travel the world looking for something." He looked up at me and held the book between us. "Look at this: 'Day 38, we are deep in the middle of Virginia and there is still no sign of the ore, but like always, we found another piece to the puzzle."

"I've read through it a million times, but I don't get what all these symbols and science notes mean," I tried to explain. "Only you can figure out what's going on in that head of his."

"Well with the symbols, I'm at a loss, but the rest is simply science notes and not really much else to it unless you want me to try and explain quantum field theory to you." He shrugged his shoulders with a dopey smile, knowing my answer.