Chapter twenty seven: Twist of Fate

One week later...

Melinda was in her mansion inside her bedroom getting ready for the ball and had three different stylists readying her for the event. She was facing the wall that was actually a massive mirror covering the back wall from end to end and the room was the size of four bedrooms crammed side by side. In front of the wall was a large kit of beauty items that every hair and make up stylist could dream of. The kit was so sizable that it stood ten feet into air of the vast amount of combs, make up kits of every color and shade, along with hair sprays, dryers, curlers, and shampoo and conditioner. In the center was a large enough gap that she could see past the kit and see her full body reflection staring back at her.

With the bright lights outlining the kit illuminating her posing body, the three designers worked diligently at measuring her body and moved in rotations to get as many measurements as fast as possible. They took a moment to leave, giving Melinda a second to herself. In a flowery black push-up bra and matching undies, Melinda blew herself a kiss and the women appeared once more with a dress that they covered in thick white plastic.

"See if this is to your standers." the smiling Asian-American woman offered. Melinda took it with a gracious smile as the woman helped her carefully unzip and remove the dress form the plastic. Then the woman took out an eye cover that one would use to help sleep. "I want it to be a surprise."

With a chuckle, Melinda agreed and put the blindfold over her eyes and felt the three women wrap the dress onto her skin in mere seconds. She could feel the front of the dress making it's way up to her shoulders and the final zip going up her very lower back.

"Okay, lift the blindfold." a different woman asked of her. Melinda complied and gaped in awe of the show-stopping dress. The three women seemed to be satisfied with her reaction and gave each other nods of approval.

The dress was skin tight and was mostly a dazzling black overtaking the right side and sprinkled with multicolored jewels embedded in the fabric. Only the left side had a sleeve that clung to her skin all the way to her wrists and the dress ended in a long, silky trail that stopped a foot behind her on the ground. There was a slit running along the side that had started right below her waist.

There were soft Geo designs running down the front black and dark gray lines but the thing she couldn't take her eyes off of was the huge golden rose that covered her entire left shoulder. Only the very ends of the rose became three-dimensional, but was packed with various textures and small crystals.

A dark golden line that passed through different parts of the lined designs of the dress, scattering the golden line as it went down and divided the dress, at a slant, between the black side and the dark gray side. The only real difference was that the slick Geo designs of the dress inverted to where they would be more gray instead of black.

The inside of the dress was also golden yellow as it showcased the very low V-neck, along with the inside of the loose waves at her feet. There was a dark golden "X" at the upper half of her shoulder blades that connected the two sides of the dress since there was practically no back to it, bringing attention to some of her waist too.

"It's beautiful..." Melinda muttered. "I don't know where to begin..."

"But it's nowhere near over!" the Asian women jumped in excitement. She then pulled out a box that had a fancy textured cover and opened it with absolute delight. She pulled out two golden high heels that were glossier than oil.

The colors matched perfectly as she kicked out one foot and the woman fitted the shoe onto her foot and doing the same for the other. She stood much taller and held out her arm for the woman to slid on the thin, golden sleeve glove that ended just below her bicep on her right arm, the arm that didn't have a sleeve.