Chapter nineteen: The Secrets underneath the rubble

A/N: Buckle in, this is going to be a long one!

***

I kept a sharp eye out for anything even more out of the ordinary than this place already was. The anticipation of something jumping out of no where was completely eating me alive. We thought it best to stay very close and since no one offered to take the lead on this one, we went shoulders hugging.

"Okay so maybe that was the only trap." I suggested after a few cold minutes of pure silence.

"I wouldn't get my hopes up." His eyes darted back and forth from the ceiling to the walls, walking as stealthfully as he could muster. "I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think tha--"

Right then, he stepped into a rope that yanked him into the air by his ankle. He was hanging a good five feet off of the ground. He screamed out as he flew into the air with violent force and given the fact he was in mid-sentence, I'm sure he completely didn't see it coming. He shouted frantically with his arms dangling helplessly.

"Skylar! Help!" he continued. "Get me down!" His main fear was that something was going to come out of the wall and kill him but as seconds passed of him swinging gently, the fear lessened. He pulled off a curl up to try and untie himself, but it was futile to free himself.

"I'll cut you down!" I called back to him, but as I stepped underneath him, the floor gave out below me. I found myself screaming as I was just able to grab the ledge. I pulled myself over and when I looked down into the hole I just created, I saw that there was nothing but mounted spears pointing straight up at us. "What the hell?"

Chase looked down and saw them too. "How about you not cut me down." he told me, knowing that if I were to, he would fall right into the pit of spears.

"Uhh, what the hell are we going to do now?" I racked my brain for some idea. As more of the flooring fell into the hole, it grew to be about width of a boulder. I had an idea to swing him back and forth and then cut the rope but the hole was now far to large.

Chase constantly kept shaking his head. "Getting dizzy here."

"Not helping." I shot back. And then it hit me. "Hey, you still have that hover-board thing?"

"Yea."

"Pass it here," And so he curled up to his belt buckle, but before he could reach, his upper body flopped back down to being upside down. He took a deep and rough breath, forcing it back out as he tried and again. In one swift motion, he reached up, grabbed the buckle, twisting it to the side, and threw it to me, falling back down to being completely upside again. "Now how do you use this thing?"

Blood was clearly rushing into his head and he took another breath. "Pressure!" he spat out in a forceful grunt. I then gripped the little board and in seconds it morphed into a much larger version on itself, the size of a narrow skateboard.

"Skylar!" he grunted again, spit flying everywhere. He was barely able to gesture at the rope, which was beginning to tear, probably of old age. "Make it quick!"

I dropped the board to the ground and stepped on top of it. As my feet stepped on top of the board, it rose into the air, making a sound that reminded me of an alien spaceship. It took me a moment to get my balance as I could see it was frustrating the hell out of Chase who had death, literally, from his point of view, hanging over his head.

I figured leaning forward would make it start moving and it went much faster than I first predicted. I fell off and the board immediately stopped moving and fell to the ground. Chase screamed out again as the rope tore thinner.