Chapter twenty eight: Schematics of the Heart

"Could changing out the core processors completely make up the work of the missing components?" Joana asked Nick analytically.

"Well it definitely will do the job. Given the pressure equalizer can equal out the intake ratio, we are solid." He wiped his tired eyes and gave the new schematics a once over before looking up to Joana who was giving him a wild smile.

"Nick, we did it," she murmured. "Nick, we freaking did it!"

He jumped up in excitement and they both entered stiff but celebratory dance in light of Nick's forward thinking mind. "And you thought you didn't need me."

"We would have gotten there eventually." she mocked.

"Sure," he replied. "Some time in year 3000."

"Which isn't that far from now." She fell back into her couch laughing goofily. He fell in next to her.

"But then I wouldn't be able to hog all the credit, now would I?" he laughed. "Think of all the things we could build, all we could make from this success?"

Against her will, she started to get lost in his soft green eyes that seemed to be harboring fluffy clouds against their will. She always found herself drawn to men with ambition.

"It's boundless." She replied but her words became fleeting chunks of sound floating away with the nonexistent breeze. "It would blow the particle accelerator out of the water..."

It was clear he was under the same spell as she slowly began to lean in for something a little unexpected, like he's wanted to every time he stepped foot through her front door. Hands clasps on necks as she saw through his eyes and into his secretive but utterly ingenious mind, the real magnet to her lust.

But she couldn't. But yet, she did.

Lips touched and given they made it this far, there was no stopping the drive now. As his hands explored the soft strands of Joana's flaxen hair and Joana was testing just how thick Nick's biceps really were, the hungering power between their kiss intensified.

Nick could feel her fingernails ever-so-lightly graze across his neck and down his back to where every touch became a lightning storms setting off every nerve. Her touch was like ocean flooding every cell in his brain as she felt the fire searing from his hands to her arms as he filled her with passion so powerful, she could only gasp in response. They could see it in each other's eyes, the craving, like a drug, like a melody that would never stop entrancing them with its utterly captivating tune.

Then after giving so much opposing force, Nick allowed Joana to push him onto his back and she flipped a leg over him and let her hair fall over the both of them.

Nick found himself being the first one to let up for air and he stared her dead in the eye of her incredibly light brown iris that faded into a marble white. It was the same colors that one would believe to be the color scheme of heaven itself. The irony had set its course in her mind, knowing the betrayal she was causing to Eric.

The worst part; she gave it everything she had to justify it.

The way Nick looked at her like she was the only thing that mattered in the world as it was just too much to walk away from. Especially since her so called 'boyfriend' has only one thing on his mind; his office desk. If an inanimate object gets more out of Eric that his supposed partner, why couldn't she be allowed to see other people? A girl has her needs.

That's how Joana tried to look at it. The way she did see it was far different:

I'm a monster.

Without warning, she pulled away and suddenly stood up. He looked surprised but also had a look that said that he should have seen it coming. "I have to get these to Eric."