Chapter twenty one: At the Brim of Daybreak

"So, is that all you need from me?" Dennis asked as Stein was gathering his things together in order to leave.

"I would think so," Stein replied, grabbing his slim, dark ebony leather suitcase, but then suddenly stopped. "Unless you're concealing important information."

"No, of course not." he said, looking a little unsure. Stein was already up and walking away, but he slid to the edge of his seat, catching Stein's attention before he could step off. "At least, what do I call you?"

Stein turned a cold shoulder. "You don't."

Dennis stood up in front of him. Stein eyed him thoroughly due to the intrusion of his line of vision. He had long dark hair and blossoming ivy green eyes. He was a little skinny in frame, but made up for it in broad shoulders and a soft peach fuzz beard. He had on an expensive brown leather jacket, thin dark blue jeans and brown loafers. "Well can I work with you?"

"You're a secretary, not a spy or any type of assassin." Stein began to walk off again.

"So you are planning on killing her."

Stein froze and slowly turned around. "I'm already paying you three million, what more do you want?"

"I want to be the new CEO of Nexus when you kill her," Dennis divulged in a hushed whisper. "That's why I want to work with you to get rid of her and I can help you do just that."

"I'm listening."

****

~Skylar~

In the blink of an eye, Chase and I suddenly materialized right above the skull room into the middle some sort of advanced --for the seventeenth century anyway-- version of a gladiator stadium.

One half of it was missing already with metal jutting out and swinging from the side of what was still standing where the other half used to be. I'm sure time was the culprit of the destruction present, but when the ground shook and rocked twice as violent as what we felt underground, I began to have second thoughts.

Another type of destroyer that decided to join the fray was Nexus. They had trucks and squad cars all around the stadium, presumably where they had detected the unique radioactive signal of the new ore I had found. There were two stationary helicopters along with one just landing, but it was the artillery thunder tanks that sent spears of wintry lightning down my spine.

Once the earth-shaking took a momentary pause, Chase and I shot straight for cover in what used to be the stands of the stadium. Of course no one noticed us, we appeared out of absolutely nowhere and they were all focused on getting underground to find what I have nestled in my satchel, both of them.

We bobbed and weaved through tanks and other various types of vehicles as we tried to find somewhere we could gather our wits together again. There were a couple digging machines here and there along with a heavy chopper I didn't notice before.

"If we don't leave quietly, we're not leaving at all," I told Chase, mirroring his thoughts. "Not alive anyway."

"Well that's just lovely." he jested as we ran down a narrow path of armored transports. I then saw five men laughing as they walked right by us with just barely two or three cars in between us. I swung Chase behind a helicopter and boy I was glad he didn't make a sound. He checked around the corner and saw them disappear behind a tank several yards more away.

"Close," he stated. "Way, way too close."

"Let's keep moving." I forced. "Maybe we can sneak out the other side of the bleachers and get moving from there."