Chapter twenty six: Heir to the Throne

Flooded with an invigorating rush of new-found hope, Eric and the team pushed themselves full throttle in calculating the percentages going into the new stabilizers as they were being built with pulsating enthusiasm. Eric looked up and saw parts rush above him by a large machine that was then laser-welded it into larger machine that would be the final product.

Eric and Joana took lead on the science behind the machine while Lance had point on the construction on the creation itself. Personal lives were thrown out of the window as their life goals lined up to one objective: being the ones to finally create an infinite source of energy.

Eric realized that the first test used too much of a very dangerous isotope and knew that without a leveled amount, the stone amplification could become very dangerous to work with. He made his way to Melinda's office to make sure a new shipment was inbound.

Edgy guards opened to doors to her office and kept their eyes glued on him every step of the way. Melinda had her back to the door and was swiping away at a hologram board.

"I swear you run this place like a mafia." Eric stammered as he entered.

"Dr. Greyson wanted to see you." the guard introduced.

She smiled and spun around to see them and motioned to the guard. "Leave us."

He marched out and Eric explained his woes and she tried to sink in every word but Eric couldn't tell if she heard a single one. "There are about twenty different people you could have brought that to, but yet you came to me." she replied. "I am a very busy woman, Greyson, what is it you really want?"

Eric had been toying with a thought in his head for a while now and it has been slowly over taking him. "Where did you get that ore from, Melinda?"

This seemed to have gotten her attention because she snapped her fingers and every hologram screen around her vanished at once. Her face straightened and she actually looked to have tensed. "You had it first remember."

The cold stare Melinda shot at him told him otherwise and he decided to go all in. "I think we both know that is a lie."

The heated game of poker face reached new heights as she carefully formed her answer. "Our satellites are simply superior and thanks to an observant scientist, we saw the blimp in the usual Geo-spectrum forecast of Earth's surface temperature not far from our door step. We couldn't figure out the way it worked so we...donated it to a laboratory."

***

Back where the suitcase of ores where originally found within North Wind, a man dressed in a black suit walked up to an officer and a full body metal detector with nothing less than a stone face.

It quickly switched to pleasant business as he put the suitcase on the a mover that would then scan it. The smiling officer pointed him to the detector and he eased through it with no problem.

"Of course, it was easy to make the ore undetectable to an inferior detector and have my man make his way throughout the complex, due to the fact that he studied the place to every fine detail like he does on every mission." she narrated as the man did expertly navigate his way in and out of rooms and down hallways like he knew exactly where he was going.

He made his way into a new hallway and saw a pretty commonly used stairwell. That was when he saw a key code and a row of punch-code numbers on the wall next to it. It suddenly lit up green and a woman popped out right after and stepped quickly out of the room.