Chapter 4 - Beautiful character

ﻭَﻟْﻴَﺴْﺘَﻌْﻔِﻒِ ٱﻟَّﺬِﻳﻦَ ﻻَ ﻳَﺠِﺪُﻭﻥَ ﻧِﻜَﺎﺣًﺎ ﺣَﺘَّﻰٰ ﻳُﻐْﻨِﻴَﻬُﻢُ ٱﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻣِﻦ ﻓَﻀْﻠِﻪِۦ ۗ

"Let those who find not the wherewithal for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah gives them means out of His grace."

* * *

The breeze swept the curtains aside, allowing the rays of the sun to filter through the window and illuminate the cozy room. The wind blew past her hair, causing  a few stray strands to fall onto her face. She frowned as she moved them aside.

A  pen was held in her hand and her favourite notebook rested on her lap. She spilled the emotions of her heart onto the paper. The pages that were a mirror of her feelings  protected the deepest secrets that resided in the depths of  her heart.

Yusaira was never an open book , never one who openly expressed her feelings. Many a times people misunderstood her silence to be mistrust for them, they never understood was that she just could never share some things. She prefered some things to reside in the recesses of her heart. Never to be evident to the eager ears of people. She prefered to be the quiet, introvert, that was never noticed in a crowd. She despised being the centre of attention.

Despite her being the shy girl that she was , she had a strong mind and a firm heart. A person who had her resolutions set out. She was a girl who would abide by the rules. A girl who had her goals set out in life, determined to cross the obstacles and reach her destination. She would tread that path with steadfastness, no matter the obstacle  that obstructed her way. 

As she jotted down the emotions that lay hidden deep within the crevices of her heart , she failed to hear the constant knocking on her door.

  Finally , a loud knock that reverberated through out the room brought her out of her reverie.

Startled, she threw her abaya over her casual jeans and butterfly top.
She swung the door open , revealing her foster brother Laaeeq, who gave her a sheepish smile.

She glanced at the rose gold clock above her bed, just as the needle struck eight o clock.

Surprised that her brother was awake so early and that also on a Saturday morning , she turned back to him, her brows raised in question.

" And how are you awake so early?!"

"Umm couldn't really sleep sis ...", he trailed off , as he scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

Yusaira looked at him intently, noticing the dark circles under his eyes, probably due to lack of sleep. The worry lines that marred his forehead. On close inspection, she saw the glint of fear was evident in his hazel eyes.

Worry surged through her body.
A hundred thoughts flashed through her mind. Something was troubling her brother and she hadn't noticed it before. He was always her rock of support in times of distress, and she had no idea that he was drowning in worry.

Realising that Laeeq was uncomfortable under her scrutinizing gaze, without another word, she ushered for him to come into the room and closed the door softly behind her.

Laeeq sat on her bed , his back resting against the suede headboard.
He mindlessly tossed a cushion from one hand to the other, a frown painted on his face. He was deep in thought, his gaze lowered.

Yusaira sat on the edge of the bed, and  silently observed her brother's disturbed expressions. She never forced him to speak, she waited patiently, until he spoke his mind.