Chapter 28 - Kidnapped

Chapter 28

"Oh how great is my regret over what I neglected with regards to Allah."

(Garden of the pious)

***

Months had passed and  he still had a large sum of the debt to pay. He was to marry Yusaira soon and he was saving up for a house and other necessities.

He had  told Davis he would pay him soon and he hardly took drugs anymore, just once in a while, so his debt was not increasing rapidly.

He had told Yusaira that he had a dark past and still some bad habits to rid of.
She had wholly accepted him and said that his past did not matter, him being  determined to give up his evil habits is what mattered and she was no one to judge him if Allah could forgive the greatest of sins.

Unbeknowest to her, when she had uttered those words she had already carved  a special place in his heart.

They had got along well and he had realised that she was the same girl his gaze sometimes strayed towards in school, even though he hadn't thought of her as a wife, he always secretly admired her steadfastness and her modesty.

He clearly remembered how she objected against extravagant functions the day of the matric farewell. Even though it was dark and he didn't see her, nor did he really know who she was, he secretly wished for a wife like her. At that time someone with her good traits, her mindset and her bashfulness was someone of his choice. Now even though he was sure he didn't deserve her after all the things he  had done, he was still thankful to Allah for accepting his supplications.

He sighed in frustration when he saw his phone flashing with Ameera's name.

She had called for the fifth time already, and he was beyond annoyed. He hadn't given her any reason for not keeping in touch, he had just told her that he could no longer speak to her and he cut off all kinds of communication. He didn't understand  why she was being so persistent, she was aware that he would stop talking to her or seeing her sooner or later. He had warned her about it, yet she was still being so insistent. 

Irritated, he picked up the call. Greeting her in an annoyed tone.

She replied to his greeting, flinching at his tone.

"Suhaib, why are you being so distant and cold? You promised me that we would reform together and now you abandoned me."

She sobbed.

He ruffled his hair, he just didn't feel like telling her the reason.

"I told you, you can keep in touch with my sisters. They will gladly help you out."

She sniffled.

"But I don't know them, I know you and I'm comfortable around you."

"I can't Ameera!"

He said sternly.

"Can't we just meet once?"