The Face of Deception

The next morning, Twilight found herself, regrettably, standing outside Celestia's room, ear against door, listening for any hint of peculiar activity. 

"Miss Twilight Sparkle??" a voice came from the dark shadows of the corridor.

Jumping at the noise, the unicorn shot to face the source. It was one of the castle's guards, standing before her, a puzzled look etched upon his face. "Are you okay, Miss?"

"Umm," she straightened herself out. "Y-yes, sir. M-my apologies. I was just..."

He raised an eyebrow at her hesitation. 

"I-I was...umm..."

"...yes??"

"I was...." she thought of a lie. "I was going to ask the Princess if she needed anything."

The guard drew back. "Her majesty hasn't awaken yet." He stated, matter-of-factly.

"Y-yes, of course," she exhaled. "That's why I was just leaving."

She brushed past the guard while trying to hide her sigh of relief. The gray official's gaze followed her as she fled. Once he was sure she was well out of range, he approached the Princess's chambers. He cringed in fear before knocking, considering the consequences of disturbing her majesty were anywhere from death to a state worse than dying- a sentence unknown to even the most villainous antagonists.  All the more so, he proceeded. 

Knock, knock, knock.

"Enter..." a voice purred from inside. 

The guard stepped in, head held high, a small crack of light emerging from the dimly lit hallway into the pitch black room. 

"Ah, Lieutenant," a similar voice cooed through the darkness. "I trust you have come to bring me good news?"

The gray stallion peered behind him, scanning the corridor for any prying eyes, when he was engulfed in a bright, green flame. When he emerged from the ring of fire, the royal guard, which had been standing there but a minute before, was replaced with a bug-like creature, composed of rotting wings, bulging, green eyes, and a hard, shellac exterior. 

"Yes, my Queen," the Lieutenant wheezed through sharp teeth. "It appears the draconequus has fallen ill, and is resting in the residence of Celestia's prized pupil, Miss Twilight Sp-"

"I have crossed paths with that brat before, Lieutenant." the Queen hissed. "I am well aware of the relationship shared between the two. You need not explain further."

"Yes, my Queen." he continued. "Well, it appears Discord is in no state to resist, given his current predicament. And that little filly protecting him is no fighter-"

"Filly?" the Queen demanded. A blaze shot up her horn to illuminate the cold expression across her pale face. It was a face the Lieutenant had not yet accommodated to, and it was foreign for to his loyalty. Nonetheless, he could see the evil emanating from the Queen's heart, visible almost immediately to a single glance. "What filly could possibly care so much for that foul creature?"

The Lieutenant hesitated. "The yellow mare, my Queen. The one that has been living amongst him for the past week." 

He heard a snarl in the blackness. He could see the sneer bright as day, despite the cold darkness. "The-the pegasus pony. F-F-Fluttershy, my Queen. She represents the Element of-"

"Kindness." She laughed to herself. "She's protecting him. Even in his darkest hour she stays with him. Isn't that funny?" 

The Lieutenant swallowed. "I-I suppose..."