| three |

When I returned home, I was met with something I never expected.

My mother was sobbing angrily in the kitchen, rocking back and forth repeatedly.

I stepped closer to her, cautiously, and her head shot up. Her once lively eyes were bloodshot, vessels decorating her orbs treacherously.

" Yah, Choi Youngjae, where have you been!? "

I was taken aback by her hostility.

" I went to the cafe down the street. Are you okay, eomma? "

My heart sped up as she began advancing towards me. It had happened so quickly, I almost couldn't emotionally process it.

My neck made sickening cracking noises as my head flew back from the impact. I fell to the floor, somehow managing to smack my wrist off the lone screw sticking out of the frayed doorway.

I shouted as it lodged itself in my bone. I held my cheek in pain. My mother had slapped me.

" I don't understand why your father ever let you stay in this house. You are not gay, you just think that. Now get out of my house! "

I heaved as she threw a kick into my ribs, her heel digging into my abdomen.

" Get out! No son of mine is gay! "

In fear of more hits, I desperately crawled to the front door, swinging it open, and slamming it shut behind me.

I had nowhere to go.

The nail was still painfully nestled into my wrist and bent in uncomfortably.

The pain of my mother's betrayal hurt more than my weary bones.

I walked back to the cafe, in hopes someone would still be there.

I looked through the glass door of the dim-lighted building to see a figure mopping the tiled floors.

That same raven hair and dazzling eyes that had brought me such joy before.

I held back a whimper, knocking on the door. He was startled as he jumped and held his hand over his heart. After a second, his shocked expression contorted into one of worry.

I sobbed as he opened the door, falling into his arms. He gasped as he wrapped his arms around me.

" Jaebum, please help me. "

I was a crying mess as he whispered into my ear.

" I don't think I ever got your name. "

" Youngjae. "

" Well Youngjae, I don't know how I've become so infatuated with you within only a couple hours, but seeing you cry is breaking my heart. "

I broke down in his embrace, tears falling rapidly down my cheeks.

" What happened? "

" My eomma kicked me out of the house. "

" Why? "

I immediately tore myself out of his hold, realizing he'd never want to be near me after I told him.

I whimpered as the pain of the nail in my wrist strengthened and he reached out for me, but I shied away.

" Youngjae, I'm going to take you to the hospital, you're scaring me- "

" I'm gay. "

I ran out of the shop, being faced with the cool breeze of the night.

As I ran, heavy footsteps followed from behind me.

Fear rose up inside my chest and I ran faster until the warmth of another human enveloped me.

" You're crazy if you think I'm actually going to let you go. I care too much now. I'm taking you to the hospital. "

He held my wrist in his hands, making sure I didn't hurt myself more as he guided me to his car.

" By the way, did you really think you being gay would make me not want to see you? "

I nodded shyly and held my head down.

" Rather than that, you might need a restraining order. I'm not leaving you anytime soon. "