Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

   She looked nothing like the ghost you’d see in those paranormal shows. She looked like she was there and alive. I thought for a moment ghosts could be walking among us and we would even be able to tell if they were dead or alive. I looked at her as she stood there so still. Her eyes were closed and the faint lines of tears had soaked her whole face. When she opened her eyes she looked at Fredrick as if he could see her. She back away seeming scared of herself. “Fred.” I heard her voice only slight. It was so quit I wouldn’t have heard it if I wasn’t listening.

“Hillary.” Fredrick cried. Coal rolled his eyes and even though it was sweet to she lovers reunited he was being a bit to sappy. “I have to ask you something.” He said trying to not make her blow up and tear his guts out. As Fredrick got about a foot away from her he stopped. Looking at her hands he looked like he saw something out of place. He seemed to whisper something to her and waited until she agreed before turning to us on the other side of the bridge. “Guys you have to come see this.” We didn’t move at first. This really wasn’t part of the plan.

“Let’s go.” Hayden said loading his gun and running down toward Fredrick. Coal shoved the pistol through his belt and followed Hayden down. I wish I could have just accepted the fact that ghost was standing on the bridge in front of me. I didn’t want to just walk right into a trap.

   Taking a deep breath I finally told myself to suck it up and stop seconding guessing everything. Down on the bridge Coal was stopped dead in his tracks the same way Fredrick had been. Hayden looked less shock more loss of any previous ideas he had ever had the whole time we were here. “You know what it is?” Fredrick asked pointing to Hillary’s hand. I could see a thin silk intertwined around her arms and tied to the screw that held the lunch box on the bridge.

“It’s a binding spell; they work on Demons and ghosts. But who would have performed it?” Hayden stated.

“It was her.” Hillary growled and almost glitched out of the picture. She had stepped over to the engraving on the cement. “She’s making me kill everyone too. I don’t want to; she can just channel my anger and make me want to.” Hillary looked so mad; if she was alive it would have landed her a spot in the mad house.

“Hill its ok.” Fredrick said and when she looked at him her anger began to fade into a memory.

“But why would she want you to kill innocent people?” I asked the dead girl.

 “Her boyfriend Gordon was cheating and all his friends were in on it so she likes to kill any couple that walks on her bridge within her favorite time every six years.” Hillary said. “She drowns the girlfriend five months before to get them ready for picking day she says.”

“Ok thanks.” Coal said. Him and Hayden looked like they didn’t really know what to say. They must kill ghost without question most of the time. She just nodded and then glitched away. The birds began to sing again and the chill that had covered the area faded to nothing.

  We took Fredrick home reassuring him that we would deal with the ghosts of Prophetstown. The chevelle then made its way seven miles over the speed limit to the cemetery. We waited in the car until the gatekeeper locked the gate and drove off.

“How do you plan on getting into a locked cemetery with security camas?” I asked as Hayden took out two shovels from the back of the car. I wrapped my arms around me to try and stay warm with the cool summer breeze flowing around us as we stood under the black sky. He threw a shovel to Coal who gave him an evil eye as he caught it.

“Well see that that box on the fence.” Hayden said and I nodded. “It’s the breaker box and we, well you are going to go and flipped it the switch on it.”