Chapter 11

Vote if you want George to do a nudie run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joel's P.O.V

“SOMEONE GET THAT MOTHER FUDGING UNICORN OUT OF MY WAY!” George screamed at the top of his lungs as we stood on top of the flying fox. I couldn't help but laugh at him. He pointed to the boy at the end of the flying fox and put on his angry gay boy face.

“I SAID GET OUT!” he shouted. The boy looked seriously freaked as he hopped off the bottom platform and swam away to his friends in the water. George grinned triumphantly and gripped the harness, jumpingd off the edge and went soaring down the line.

“YAHOO!” he screamed and tipped upside down with his hands out towards the ground. He was insane if he thought I was doing that too. Cole hooked and harnessed me up and I gripped onto it tightly.

“Away you go!” Cole said.

“Thanks man,” I said and took one step off the platform.

“Hey sexy!” Sye said huskily beside me and I turned to look at him and fell over the edge and went flying down the line. In the confusion I lost my hold of the harness and toppled upside down like George had done. I watched Sye's laughing face grow further away and then I crashed into the water. Underwater I righted myself and surfaced. George was laughing as he waited sitting on the platform with his legs dangling over the edge, clutching his stomach with tears in his eyes.

“Oh man, that boy is gonna kill me,” George wailed. I blushed and took off the harness, ducking under the water and swimming away. A little yellow fish swam in front of me and I watched it flick from one side to the other in the bright light blue water with the white sand below. The fish darted away and when I was about to wonder why, something crashed down on top of me. I let out the rest of my air in one big breath and bubbles exploded in my face, then someone was pulling me up out of the water and I stood. The water was only hip deep on me. Sye grinned wildly.

“Sorry about that, but you were under and didn't hear me calling,” he chuckled. I took my arm back from his grip and turned my back to him, walking back to shore.

“Hey Joel, wait!” he called after me, but I ignored him. My brother was right, he was such a dick.

Sye's P.O.V

Joel turned his back to me and stalked away. What did I do?

George patted my shoulder.

“All is fair in love and war,” he sighed and then lost it laughing again and fell backwards into the water.

“I hope you drown,” I laughed at him and grabbed his ankle and started running, dragging him along. Only it was slow because I can't run very well in water. I glanced back at Joel who was now up by the flying fox again. Samson grabbed his arm, his spiky blue blonde hair sticking up, and wrapped his arms around Joel's waist.

What? Why was he touching him like that? Oh no... I realised what was happening... Joel was crying.

What upset him so much?

I pulled George back on his feet and shook his shoulders.

“What's up with Joel?” I asked him sternly. George bit his bottom lip and looked away from me.

“No one's told you yet have they?” he asked, bowing his head and looking at his hands as he scooped water about.

“Told me what?” I asked.

“Sye... there was this guy, Noah, who used to come to this camp too a few years back. Joel and him, well, they got really close, and then they started dating. Then at the camp before last on the last day they got into a huge fight and broke up. Last year Noah didn't come back, and I guess he didn't this year either. But it was really bad for Joel,” George explained solemnly. I blinked.

“I didn't know,” I mumbled.

“Of course you didn't, no one told you. Look, don't beat yourself up over it. The guy was a dick. Joel never knew if he truly liked him or if he was just using him. He was a major player. There were rumours for a while about Noah cheating on Joel here at camp. And after Noah didn't come back, so did a few others. People think it was linked.” I clenched my fist and punched the water.

“I'm such an idiot!” I growled. George took a step back from me and put his hands up in surrender.

I raced to the shore to try and find Joel and apologise for teasing him. I needed to make things right. But I looked and looked and looked, no one knew where he was. I couldn't find Samson either.

~

After a while I had to accept that Joel was off somewhere and wanted to be left alone. At least from me. I went to bed feeling sick to the stomach with guilt and anguish. I stayed awake for hours while everyone slept, waiting for Joel to come back to his bed. But he didn't. I drifted off slowly and finally slept.

When I woke Joel's bed had been slept in, but there was no sign of him anywhere. I'd slept in and now most of the dorm was empty. I rolled onto my stomach, put my face into my pillow, my blanket over my head, and cried.

Joel's P.O.V

Samson and I went for a walk into the woods and stayed there until very late just talking and laughing and messing around. Samson and I went way back to primary school, but he'd moved towns for high school so I hadn't seen him much after that. Luckily we both started going to the same camp together and we got to still hang out and keep in touch over email. Sometimes we visited each other on long weekends and school holidays. We didn't get back to the dorms until late and I was reluctant too. I took my shirt off and dropped it over my brother's sleeping head, then I climbed the ladder of my bunk and hopped into bed. I chanced a glance at Sye to see him sleeping soundly. My stomach whirled and I quickly looked away. I slept with my back to him and was thankful of the snoring brother beneath me to block out my thoughts. Even though I stayed out late, I woke up at sunrise and got dressed quickly. I left the dorm before anybody else and went for a dawn swim. The water was cool but nice and it was refreshing and calming. I needed to assess things. I couldn't go on seeing Sye around everywhere. It hurt too much looking at him, and if he was going to keep up the teasing and making fun of me, well... I was better off without that. Samson had offered to switch bunks with me, his being on the other side of the dorm to Sye, and I'd refused at first, but now I was considering it.

Other's started waking and coming out so I decided to go back in and dry off. I skipped breakfast and went for a jog around the campus instead.

Riley caught me in the car park and called me over to him.

“Mate, I talked to Samson just now. You okay?” he said. I nodded, my lips in a straight line. He put a hand on my shoulder. I grabbed his arm and pulled him to me, wrapping my arms around my brother and hugging him. I cried into his shoulder. He patted my back and spoke soothing words.

“It's okay, it'll be fine. You're tough,” he whispered softly. My brother was good like that.

“It's all too dramatic for me,” I whined, slobbering all over his shirt sleeve. He laughed which made his shoulders shake.

“That's makes you the perfect gay,” he cackled. I punched him in the side softly and he wrinkled his nose at me.

“Come on you cry baby,” he laughed and locked my head under his arm, rubbing his knuckles into the top of my head. I punched him in the back of the knee and we both fell to the ground laughing.