Chapter Two

Legolas is about the equivalent to a six year old human child in this story, just as a reminder from the previous chapter.  :) 

Legolas watched on as the twins practiced on the archery range. Back home in Mirkwood he always enjoyed watching the archers during their training sessions. Sometimes Tegalad or Beinion would let him shoot arrows with a smaller bow and help him as he did so. Their archery master, Eglerion, always watched as they helped Legolas and praised him whenever he did well.

Legolas bounced up and down on the fence, a huge smile on his face as he watched Glorfindel comment on the twins shots.

Yes, one day I'll be the greatest archer there ever was! Legolas thought excitedly. Eglerion had already spoken to his father about training him, even if it was just for fun. His Ada though had sadly said no, that he had to wait another year and then he would be ready.

For Legolas, that year was dragging by and he just wanted it to be over with. Couldn't his father see that he was ready right now? He was a big elf and could handle it.

He sighed deeply, scrunching up his nose as he was thought hard. At least his friends helped him whenever his Ada wasn't around. He only wished he knew why his father had said he was not allowed to yet.

It's because he loves you very much, Greenleaf. A voice said softly to him, startling him out of his train of thought. Looking around for who had 'spoken' to him, Legolas found a little chickadee sitting beside him on the wooden fence.

But that does not explain why I can't practice though. Legolas responded quietly, playing with the hem of his tunic.

He cannot bear the thought of you getting hurt, the bird said, hopping onto his leg, Ever since he lost your mother it has become hard for him to see you taking up arms, even if it is just a bow for mere fun and sport. You are all he has left and he does not want to think about losing you too, Greenleaf. Losing you would hurt him and as much as he wants to see you practicing because he knows how much you love the sport, it's hard for him to accept the fact that you're growing up. Your father loves you very much, penneth, very much.

Legolas blinked his eyes, pools forming in them. It was true, he and his father had grown closer together since his Nana had passed away, and his heart still hurt to think about it. Though it had been years since the incident, he occasionally had nightmares about those horrible days.

After that event he had had his 'awakening' with the Song, which was the earliest ever known and incredibly special because no other elf had as strong a connection as he did with nature. He wasn't aware of how major it was, he just thought it to be normal. Only the elders were struck with this and pondered over it.

But Legolas had never thought of his archery in this way, and the little chickadee made him want to go and find his Ada and give him the biggest hug ever. He felt the need to let his father know just how much he loved him in return.

Plans forming in his mind, the little Prince was unaware of a figure walking slowly up to him from behind. The chickadee watched as the figure stopped behind the elfling and chuckled in his head. He hopped off the little one's leg and moved back to watch.

The Prince looked at the bird as he moved off of his leg, curious. He then became aware of someone behind him, but before he could react a large hat was placed over his head and he was swung up into powerful arms.

Squealing with delight, Legolas laughed as his captor tickled him mercilessly. A deep laugh rumbled from the figure and he squirmed, trying to get away from the hands that tickled him.