Chapter Eighteen

I'm so bad at writing battle scenes so there isn't a whole lot here. RIP. But there will be more later on when it gets exciting. And hopefully there will be another update at some point next week. Enjoy!

~Zelinith

Time skip... *insert evil smiley face from here on out*...

The battle for Prince Legolas had finally begun.

They elven army and one wizard had arrived during the afternoon to the outskirts of Fornost, waiting until dusk had settled over the land before starting their attack. As expected, there was a large force waiting for them once they began to storm the stronghold, a mixture of orcs, wargs, and other miscreant creatures.

Thranduil was leading the charge alongside Elrond, Celeborn, and Glorfindel. Erestor, Mithrandir, and Galadriel followed behind, giving the warriors a chance to clear a path to the main building where Legolas was undoubtedly being held.

A few days before the attack they had been visited by a little songbird. Although no one was able to truly converse with the creature, Legolas being the only elf they knew who could do so, Thranduil had sensed the urgency of the tiny bird. Knowing his Greenleaf, he figured that the bird must have some knowledge on Legolas' location, explaining the angry tweets and tiny pecks he had been receiving. Since then, the songbird had remained perched on the Elven King's shoulder, occasionally puffing out his chest-

That's enough of that. Let's return to what you all are really here for (although I could explain more sweetness, but I don't think anyone would like that right now).

The sounds of swords clashing was accompanied by grunts and groans along with the occasional scream. It was a bloody fight, many elves falling among the other creatures, but fueled by rage the elves were doing an excellent job of thinning out the area surrounding the main fortress of orcs and wargs.

As Thranduil decapitated two orcs at once, thanks to his dual longswords, the songbird suddenly shot off of his shoulder, tweeting loudly as it flew away. Startled, Thranduil watched the direction the tiny bird went, not paying attention to the orc approaching behind him. At the last moment, he heard a whoosh of a sword and turned just in time to witness Elrond cutting off the orc's arm. With a grin, the Peredhel finished off the orc, giving the Elven King a look.

Thranduil ignored him and instead pointed off down an alleyway.

"The songbird flew down there," he began, "And I think it knows a faster way inside the stronghold."

"Then lead the way." Elrond replied.

Glorfindel and Erestor watched as the others ran off, silently praying to the Valar that they would remain alive and save the Prince. They were to stay behind in case their Ghost Warrior had any surprises waiting for them at the main gates and to support the elven force. Turning back towards the main fight, the two dove into the fray once more, being swallowed up by the mass of bodies before them.

In the back alleyways of Fornost, the little songbird led the way for the others. Feeling quite confident in himself, he weaved between broken walls and debri, tweeting a little tune as he went. He just hoped the back gate wasn't too heavily guarded.

But they have a Maiar and Las' Adar is angry enough that I think they should be okay...

As expected, the rear gate wasn't too heavily guarded, but it would still require the quick work of the elves and wizard to take them down if they didn't want any alarms to be raised.

Letting the others fight, the bird flew between a tiny slit in the gate, taking a quick peek at what was waiting for them on the other side.

Celeborn was just removing his sword from the last orc's body when they suddenly heard a shrill tweet from inside the main gate. Giving each other looks, the group hurried inside, pushing aside the heavy wooden gate.

A figure stood waiting within, shrouded by the shadows. Before him lay the form of the songbird who was twitching in obvious pain.

"If you want him, he's right down that way." The figure raised a hand and pointed off down a corridor. "But, I really don't know what good you will be able to do at this point. My assistant did quite a good job on him, if I must say so myself." He began to laugh, the sound echoing in the dark entranceway.

Galadriel and Elrond slowly departed from the group, heading down the corridor the figure had indicated. It had been decided earlier that day that they would be the ones to help Legolas. As much as Thranduil had wanted to join, he knew that he wouldn't be of much use there.

Instead, as the two elves ran towards the Prince, Thranduil approached the figure before him, Celeborn trailing behind. Mithrandir lingered behind, making his way over to the injured bird. He bent down, gently picking up the creature in his hands.

Watching the others, the figure began to back up slowly, making his way into a larger chamber behind him. When he had made it to the center of the room he stopped, waiting for the King and Lord to fully come into the room. He glanced above the entrance beneath his hood, a slow smile making its way across his face.

The moment both elves had entered far enough, and before the Maiar could follow as well, the figure swiftly turned behind him and screamed.

"NOW!"

And the gate crashed to the ground.