Chapter Seventeen

I'm only partially sorry for what I have done.

~Zelinith

In a tiny, dark cell deep inside Fornost...

Everything hurt.

Everything was sore.

And all he wanted was his Ada.

Legolas slowly opened his eyes, gazing into the darkness surrounding him. Carefully, the elfling brought his hand up to his face, rubbing his eyes to try and be rid of the sleepiness that still plagued him. With a tiny yawn, he shifted himself into a sitting position, whimpering when his wounds protested the movement.

The Prince looked around himself. He didn't remember when they had put him into this cell. The last thing he knew was that he had been carried off by Morohtar, but then everything slowly faded away after that.

A sudden urge to cry hit the elfling, realizing that he was completely alone and nobody was there with him. Part of him wanted one of the mean elves to be here, if only to keep away the scary sounds of the dark. The other wanted his Ada to come and save him.

Thinking of his precious Ada made the elfling want to cry all the more, but he knew that his Ada would want him to be brave. Crying wouldn't help him in his situation, but that thought didn't make it any easier. He just wanted his Ada's strong arms to hold him, telling him that he was safe.

But he didn't know if he'd ever see his Ada again.

Before the tears truly started falling, a tiny tweet gained the elfling's attention. Looking up towards the bars of his cell, a little songbird sat in the hallway, hopping back and forth. Legolas raised his hand to the bird who quickly flew over and landed on his finger.

Are you Las by any chance? The songbird asked.

Yes, that's what some people call me. Legolas replied. Why?
My friend Patches told me about what happened and said I needed to come and find you. He's very worried, the rabbit is.

Oh! I remember Patches. He's really worried about me?

Yes! We all are! All the little creatures are worried about you, Las.

Legolas was shocked by that.

But why?

Because you are so nice to us and can understand what we say.

Oh.

Yes. Which reminds me why I am here. The songbird puffed himself up. I am to tell you that your father and many other elves, along with a wizard, are currently on their way. I passed over them on my way here.

Really? Ada is coming? Delight lit up the elfling's blue eyes.

Yes. The bird bobbed his head. And, by my own decisions, have decided that I will be the one to direct the elves to you. I will be a messenger between you and them. That way they will be able to know where you are and save you sooner.

But won't that be dangerous? Legolas was truly worried about his new bird friend. I don't want you to get hurt.

Nonsense. I was perfectly fine getting down here. There's a gap between the walls where I can fly through without anyone noticing.

Only if you are sure...

Of course I am.

Well..., the elfling bit his lip, then I guess that'll work.

Wonderful! Don't worry, I will do my very best. The tiny songbird tweeted a little tune. I will go fly back to the elves and let them know I am here to help.

Alright, that sounds good. Oh! What is your name? You know mine but I don't know yours.

It's Ling.

Ling. That's a nice name.

Thank you. Now as much as I hate to leave you, I really must go.

Farewell, Ling!

Goodbye, Las! And with that the songbird flew off down the hallway, leaving the Prince alone once more, but this time with hope.

Before the elfling could enjoy the feelings of happiness at the thought of his Ada coming to rescue him, a form appeared before his cell door. Scooting back until he hit a wall, Legolas began to shake in fear.

"Good morning, elfling. Time to have some fun."