Chapter Twenty-Four

Have some fluffiness (it's only fair after what I have put everyone through). Also, I melted a bit at Legolas.

On a side note, tomorrow I leave for college, move in Friday, and then classes begin Wednesday. I'm not ready.

~Zelinith

To Thranduil, the return journey took an age and then some. It didn't help that Elrond was always hovering nearby, having to stop periodically everyday in order to treat Legolas' wounds the best that he could in their given situation. And on top of that, there was the unspoken worry that could be felt coming from the soldiers that trailed behind, especially those of Mirkwood. Even the other lords, lady, and Maiar rode their horses alongside his own, never out of reach.

The Elven King appreciated the gesture, he really did. But it was grating on his nerves all the same. When Imladris finally came into view, he had never been more thrilled to see the Hidden Vale in his entire life.

As they rode into the Elven city, Celebrian and her three children were waiting impatiently for the group to reach them, fidgeting on the steps as they watched the riders come in. The second that Thranduil and the Prince came into view, the four elves dashed forward, surrounding the poor elf's horse.

"Here, Thranduil," Celebrian said, reaching her arms up to him, "Pass Legolas down to me. I will be gentle with him, I promise." She waited as the King hesitated before lowering his son into her arms. The second he had let go of him, she was already briskly walking away, her children following closely behind.

Thranduil stared blankly at them, a bit shocked at Celebrian's impatience. He dismounted his horse and went to follow the Lady of Imladris only to be held back by Celeborn.

"Come," he softly spoke, "Let Elrond and his healers take care of your son for now. You should wash up and rest. They will come get you when you can see him again." Knowing there was no pointing in fighting and that his cold stare would be ineffective, the King could only do as the Lord had said.

As this was taking place, Celebrian was having a hard time fighting off her lovely children who wanted to hold Legolas for themselves.

"Please, Naneth, I can make it to the Halls of Healing faster than you can."

"I just want to hold him for a second to make sure he really is alright."

"What if you are jostling his injuries that way? Hand him over."

Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen were pushing one another to walk beside their mother, saying many things along these lines to try and convince her to hand over the little elfling. However, their efforts were all put to waste as Celebrian shoved open a door with her slipper, and once inside, slammed it closed on their faces. Before they could rush inside, they heard a distinct click sound, indicating that they had been locked out.

With huffs of annoyance, the three wandered off, planning ways to get into the Prince's room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Early the next morning, Thranduil was finally allowed into his son's room. Elrond and his healers had been able to patch Legolas up, reassuring his father that he would in fact make it. Despite this, the King couldn't help but still worry when he gazed upon his pale son, bandages covering most of his tiny frame.

Being extremely careful Thranduil lifted his son up so he could sit behind him, placing his Greenleaf back down onto his chest once he was situated. For a while he sat on the bed in silence, relishing in the feeling of the warm body and tiny breaths it gave. He brushed back a few strands of golden hair that had fallen, tucking them behind a small pointed ear.

As he went to pull back his hand, his son began to shift around, his eyes slowly fluttering open. Thranduil could have drowned in the blue eyes that gazed up at him, feeling beyond happy to see them shining brightly once more, although there was still some pain that lingered inside them.

"Hello ion-nin," the Elven King said softly, "I've missed you."

"Ada." was all Legolas said, his voice raspy with disuse. Watching his Adar, his brow furrowed in concern as he saw tears brimming in his father's eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Greenleaf, nothing is wrong anymore." He then brought Legolas closer to his body, hugging him as tightly as he could without disturbing his son's injuries.

When his father brought him closer, the elfling closed his eyes and breathed in the woodsy smell his father always seemed to carry with him. His Adar's arms had never felt any safer or welcoming than they did at this moment.

After a few minutes of being held by the one who mattered the most to him, Legolas looked up at his Ada, remembering what his Nana had told him. He wasn't certain if it was real or not, seeing his Naneth as everything was really fuzzy, but he couldn't shake the feeling of what his mother had told him. If Nana had asked him to do something then he had to do it for her, whether it was real or not.

"Ada." Legolas said, gaining his father's attention.

"What is it, ion-nin?"

"Nana wanted me to tell you something..." the elfling slowly started, his ears catching the hitch in his Adar's breath. "She told me that 'there is nothing to forgive' and that 'what happened that day is in no part your fault.' Nana misses and loves us too." Tears had formed in both of the elves eyes, and as the dam finally broke in Legolas, Thranduil brought him back tightly to his chest.

"Oh, Greenleaf..." The Elven King never wanted to let go again of his precious son.