Chapter Ten

Later that same night...

Elrond wearily made his way back to his study, the events of the past few days catching up to him. He had gone to check on Legolas after the ordeal with Dûrion, only to find the elfling wide awake and in severe pain. He and Celebrian had done their best to make him comfortable and ease the pain, but eventually were forced to give the Prince a potion to lull him to sleep because he was so distraught.

Though the injuries the elfling had were still in a fragile state, there was far more hope now that he would pull through. In the beginning, Elrond did not see how that would be possible. But Legolas was far stronger than they gave him credit for.

The Lord of Imladris sighed as he entered his study. Oh, what he wouldn't wish for this nightmare to be over. But that was not a possibility, not now at any rate. There was still too much to be done and discovered. It seemed that their game was far from over.

Elrond grumbled about that. For all the years that he had lived in Middle-Earth, he had never faced a foe that was so intent on making a game out of his work. The idea that his opponent was essentially toying with them all, moving them around on a board was unnerving and aggravating.

Even his ring, Vilya, had not been able to do anything to stop the Ghost Warrior's attacks. Elrond had concluded that it must be because their enemy was an elf – he didn't want to imagine any other reasons than that.

But what bothered him the most was that he had seen glimpses of this before. At this point, he didn't think it worthwhile to tell the others, but centuries ago, he had had a vision.

In the vision, he saw a glimpse of a figure cloaked in black, laughing off in the distance, a ruined kingdom behind. The scene then changed to the image of a white flame - with the sound of crying a child - alone in a dark place. The flame fluttered and gasped, before it was extinguished for good. The vision promptly ended, back then leaving the Lord confused and a tad disconcerted. However, he did not feel that it was imminent to take place within years around him, so he had pushed it off, though he never meant to forget it.

Now he realized his folly in forgetting the vision, but there was nothing he could do but to move on and push forward.

Elrond by this point was sitting heavily in his chair, a hand coming up to rub the bridge of his nose. With another sigh, he blinked his eyes a few times, then leaned forward to look for their information they had so far gathered.

Except it was gone.

With a shake in his hands, the Lord of Imladris began to quickly shuffle around the papers on his desk, desperately looking for the papers. Finding nothing, he moved his chair back and withdrew a key from his person. Unlocking one of the lower drawers where he kept his most important papers, Elrond looked once more. He came up empty.

For ten minutes he looked up and down his study, frantically trying to find their information. When he found nothing, he quickly left to find Glorfindel. The two then spread out to look in the only places they would have placed the papers.

An hour later, they met back in Elrond's study, both empty handed.

"Where could they have gone?" The Balrog Slayer said fiercely.

Elrond leaned against the windowsill. "I know naught." He replied, his exhaustion evident in his voice. "We would not have left them carelessly alone. I would not be surprised if our Ghost Warrior took them. He seems to be... skilled in the area of stealth."

"That does not make it any better."

"No, but I know I remember the majority of what we had. We didn't have much after all."