1

Luke : age 4

Luke sat on the porch with his pet bunny beside him. He watched as a large moving truck pulled into the driveway of the empty house beside his.

He picked up the bunny rabbit, and walked over to the edge of his yard as a family stepped out of the car.

"Hello." He called, and a woman looked over at him. "Why hello!" She said, and kneeled down in front of the boy. Luke shyly smiled, and looked at her. She looked like a very nice lady to him.

"We're your new neighbors. I'm Karen, what's your name?" She asked, causing him to smile. "I'm Luke." He said as a little boy with brown hair ran over to him.

"Well, Luke, this is my son Michael. I'm sure you two are going to be great friends." She said, and left the two boys to talk while she helped unload the truck.

"Wanna hold my bunny Chester?" Luke asked, making Michael smile, and nod quickly. The boys both sat down in Luke's yard, and let the bunny crawl into Michaels lap.

"I'm four, and look what I just learned to do." Luke said, and showed Michael how he could whistle.

"I'm five, and look what I can do." Michael said, and showed Luke how he could blow a spit bubble.

"I can't wait until I'm five.." Luke mumbled bitterly.

"I can't wait until I'm six. I'll officially be in the first grade." Michael said, and Luke frowned.

"I would be starting kindergarten but mommy won't let me. She says I'm too stupid anyways." Luke whispered, which caused Michael to frown also.

"It's okay. Maybe I can teach you someday." Michael offered, bringing the brightness back to Luke's eyes. "Or I guess my mom could teach you. She's a teacher. That's why we moved here." Michael told him.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Luke asked, and scooted closer.

"Yeah." Michael said softly.

"You're my best friend."