23

"Mom I'm scared." Michael said after Luke went to get in the shower.

Karen turned to look at Michael, signaling him to continue. "Luke is really sensitive, and I'm afraid of him going alone. Sometimes when he's nervous, or scared, he has these little anxiety attacks, and what if he has a big one and nobody's around? He has trouble breathing sometimes when he has them. I'm 19, I can go with him." Michael said.

He knows he can leave without his moms consent, but he doesn't want her to be alone either. He wants to make her happy too.

"Michael, I'm worried about him too, but why don't we just wait a few months to see how the business is going, okay? I'm making great money right now, and eventually we will be able to move out there with Luke. We just have to wait, though." She said, and Michael nodded.

"Do you think when we get there, me and Luke would be able to get our own apartment?" He asked, and Karen smiled. "What are you thinking?" She asked, and Michael sat down.

"I want to ask Luke to marry me. Just, not right now because he's leaving." Michael said, and Karen smiled, feeling her eyes fill up with tears.

"I can't believe how fast you both have grown up." She whispered, and Michael pulled two things from his pocket.

"When I heard he was leaving, I picked this one up." He said, and slid the ring box over.

Karen opened it, and admired the beautiful, silver ring with diamonds lining the band. The bottom of the ring had 'michael' written in cursive letters. Michael had a plain silver band that said 'luke' on it.

"It's a promise ring." Michael said, and Karen wiped her eye, smiling at Michael. "He's gonna absolutely love it."

"I picked up the engagement ring last week." He said, and slipped over the other box.

She looked at another diamond encrusted band. She knew this ring would be perfect for Luke.

"He's gonna love it. He's gonna love everything." She said, and Michael hid the rings in a drawer when he heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

He put the promise ring box in his pocket, and stood up, looking at Luke who was wearing one of his sweaters. It came down past his bum, so Luke wasn't wearing any pants. He looked so adorable.

"Come with me." Michael whispered, and grabbed Luke's hand, leading him into the back yard.

The walked over to the pool, and sat down, sticking their feet in.

Luke took a breath, and looked down at the pool. He knew Michael was gonna break up with him.

"Listen Luke, I-"

"Michael stop." Luke whispered, and watched as his tears fell on his legs.

"I already know what you're gonna say." Luke whispered.

"You do?!" Michael asked, and Luke nodded.

"I know you're gonna break up with me. You'll say it's just until we see each other again, but I know you'll move on. It's okay. I understand. You'll say we can work it out, but-"

"Luke shut up." Michael whispered, turning Luke's head his way, and kissing his lips roughly.

"I am not breaking up with you, and to prove it to you, I got you something." Michael said, and pulled the box from his pocket, opening it. "It's a promise ring. Whenever you get lonely, just look at it and remember that I promise to always be there for you, and I'm always gonna love you." Michael said, and Luke wiped his eyes.

"It's beautiful." He whispered, and looked up at Michael.

He felt Michael pick up his left hand, and slip the ring on his finger.

He smiled, and wiped the rest of his tears. "I love you so much." Luke whispered, and looked down at the ring on his finger.

He looked up, and kissed Michael lips.

"Promise me that you'll marry me one day." Luke whispered, letting the tears fall from his eyes again. "I'm gonna keep that promise." Michael whispered, and Luke smiled as he pressed their foreheads together.

"I'm really scared.." Luke whispered, tangling his hand with Michael's. "Los Angeles is really big and I'm gonna be all by myself." He continued.

"Luke, you're brave. You're gonna be okay. You already rented an apartment, right?" Michael asked, and Luke nodded. "I found one right before I got in the shower, but I- I-" he started, but Michael cut him off.

"But nothing. You're brave."