7

Luke : age 16

Michael watched as the blonde boy waved at him through his window. It was a little past 9 p.m. and Luke just wanted someone to talk to.

They both opened their windows, and Michael frowned at what he saw. New cuts and bruises littered Luke's face.

Michael wanted to wipe the tears that fell out of Luke's eyes so badly. He wanted to hold him, and run his hand through that blonde quiff.

"Please don't just sit there and feel bad for me. Come over and make me feel better." Luke cried, and Michael was quick to walk over to the door leading onto his balcony. He got outside, and ran down the balcony stairs, going over to Luke's.

Luke met him outside on his balcony, and Michael hugged him quickly.

"Luke I'm so sorry." Michael whispered as they sat against the wall.

"I told my mom Im gay. See, if you told your mom that you're gay, she'd still love you. I know she would." Luke said, and leaned on Michael's shoulder.

"But I'm not gay." Michael whispered.

"I know. I was just using it as an example." Luke told him.

They sat there for a second in comfortable silence.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" Luke asked, and looked up at Michael.

Michael was starting to feel uncomfortable with Luke. Sure they were best friends, but these feelings towards Luke were not normal. Him and Luke haven't been hanging out as much, so he hasn't been thinking about him that much. He wants to keep it that way.

Luke was getting impatient with Michael's answer, and he really didn't wanna stay home because he knew his mom had only started what she was gonna do to him. When she's angry, it lasts a long time.

"Please Michael. I'm scared, and I don't wanna be by myself." Luke whispered.

"Luke, I gotta go." Michael mumbled, and started standing up, causing Luke to hold onto his arm.

"No! Please don't go.." Luke sobbed, causing Michael to start giving in. "Help me, Michael. I'm scared of her." He continued.

"Learn to fight back." Michael told him.

"No matter how much I want to, I can't hit my mom." Luke whispered. "Please. You won't even know I'm there. I won't bother you anymore. I can sleep on the couch." Luke said, and Michael looked up, and saw Luke's mom open the door to his bedroom, and pick up his baseball bat. Michael quickly ducked down, so she couldn't see him.

"Please Michael.." Luke whispered, as Michael held onto him.

"I'm gonna get you out of here, but she has your bat, and we can't let her see us." Michael whispered, peeking up to see the angry woman searching everywhere for Luke.

When she stormed out of the room, Michael grabbed Luke's hand, and led him down the stairs. They ran across the yard, and up the stairs to Michael's balcony. They quickly got inside, and Luke hugged him tightly.

"Okay, your mom is probably coming over here, so you need to hide. Go hide in the towel closet, and wait until I come and get you, okay?" Michael said, and Luke nodded, walking into his bathroom.

Michael heard someone coming up the stairs, so he jumped on his bed, and opened his laptop.

"Hey, Michael. Did Luke come over tonight?" My mom asked, with Luke's mom standing beside her.

"Um no. Not tonight. I asked him to, but he said he had to stay home and tell his mom something." I mumbled, not looking up.

"Alright. He must've ran off. I don't know what I'm gonna do with him. Thank you anyways." Luke's mom said, and walked back down the stairs with mine.

I got up, and peeked out of my room, seeing her leaving.

I ran into my bathroom, and opened up the towel closet, seeing Luke looking scared to death.

"Cmon. We need to go tell my mom." I said, and he fell onto my chest, sobbing. I held him for a minute, and ran my hand through his hair.

Michael led him down the stairs, and into the living room where his mom sat.

"Mom?" Michael asked, causing Karen to look over. Luke still was holding tightly onto Michael's hand.

"Luke! Your mom is worried sick about you!" Karen said, and stood up.

"The only thing she's worried about is if she's gonna have enough money for drugs. She only wants me home so she can beat me." He said, and Karen's jaw dropped. She ran over to Luke, and engulfed him in a hug.

"Can he stay here?" Michael ask, and Karen pulled away, and looked at Luke.

"Is that what you want?" Karen asked, so Luke nodded.