Chapter Nine

Dance Practice

~Arden Diggory~

"The Yule Ball is a tradition during the Triwizard Tournament. On Christmas Eve night, Hogwarts students and our guests will gather in the Great Hall in well mannered frivolity. And I need each and everyone of you to put your best foot forward -and I mean this literally- because, The Yule Ball, is a dance" Professor Mcgonagall announced.

Girls around the room all whispered and giggled to each other. The boys on the other side of the room however all groaned. Professor Snape and Professor Mcgonagall had gathered all Slytherins and Gryffindors from years 4 and up for a meeting. Across the room I saw Draco leaning back in his chair smirking and talking to Blaise. The two boys sniggered and looked in my direction with smirks on their faces. I turned around to see if they were looking at anyone else, but their smirks just grew wider. Were they talking about me?

I shyly waved at them, and Draco smiled, returning the wave. Blaise nudged Draco, and Draco suddenly turned pink.

"Silence!" Snape yelled out. All students stopped talking about the ball and listened. Mcgonagall nodded with gratitude and began rambling about swans popping out of girls or something. Filch was tending to a very large record player, trying to get it to work.

"Inside every boy is a lion waiting to prance. Professor Snape! Please, join me in showing the students how to waltz." Mcgonagall said. Professor Snape stood in his place stiffly, and looked at Mcgonagall like she had 3 heads.

"Minerva, I thought you were-" Snape started. Mcgonagall clicked her fingers and pointed in front of her, making Snape slowly walk in front of her.

"Now students, the boy must use his right hand, to take the girl's waist." Mcgonagall took Snape's right hand and placed it on her waist. Almost every student in the classroom covered their mouths to prevent their laughter from interrupting this hilarious moment. Mcgonagall put her left hand on Snape's shoulder, and kept instructing. Filch played waltzing music, and Mcgonagall smiled. "1 2 3, 1 2 3." She counted, as her and Snape slowly waltzed in one spot.

Snape looked as though he was about to cry. Mcgonagall kept her maturity and kept waltzing. "Now, everybody find a partner!" She announced. Almost every girl stood up instantly and stepped forward. I was the last one to stand and stood awkwardly, wondering what to do. The boys however groaned and stayed seated. Neville Longbottom stood and walked forward. Hermione stepped forward as well, and took Neville's hand, beginning to waltz.

More boys stood and walked up to their desired girl to dance. I looked at the boys, hoping I wouldn't get someone like Crabbe or Goyle to ask me to dance. I saw Harry nearly sprint to me, and spotted Draco far behind him stop in his tracks and stomp in anger. Draco looked at Harry in front of me then balled his hands into fists.

Harry smiled and mocked a bow. "May I have this dance?" He said in a fancy tone.

"With pleasure." I said imitating the tone. He put his free hand in mine and I put my other hand on his shoulder. His left arm was broken, so we reversed the dance so we could hold onto each others hand to keep balance. The two of us fumbled as we awkwardly waltzed together. We stepped on each other's toes multiple times, but laughed it off. In the corner of my eye I spotted Draco with Pansy. His hand was hovering over her waist, almost terrified to place it there. He looked over at Harry and I and glared.

Pansy forced Draco's hand on her waist and he let out a loud groan. Pansy however was smiling like an idiot, having no clue that Draco was not interested in her at all. Around the room, most boys and girls were hating every second of this dance practice. Harry and I however were the only ones laughing at our mistakes, while others yelled and became frustrated at their mistakes.