Chapter 5: Thumbs up

CHAPTER 5: Thumbs up

The phone didn't buzz. Not even once.

I waited for hours, waiting for Mil to reply back, call me, email me, anything. But nothing. Not even a text saying 'k'. I would be happy as hell with that. But she never bothered. 

Mil, I can explain! I don't like Sam I promise! Call me sometime? Please, we need to talk! -Val (Read 10:17pm)

She saw the message. But didn't reply. Mil was mad. Mad isn't even the word. She was probably in despair, hating me with all her guts, she probably wouldn't ever talk to me again. She probably doesn't want to see my face ever again. 

I cried into the pillow, staining it with my make up. I'd tried everything already, even listening to One Intersection didn't make anything better. I really screwed up this time, and I knew there was no fixing. Nothing I could say or do would ever erase Mil's memory of me kissing the love of her life.

I could always try and fix it, but I can't undo a moment of my life like I can undo an error on a word document. It was done, and I can't go back.

"Val, baby, what's the matter?" My mom opened the door. 

I whipped my tears with my shaky hands, trying not to make it seem that bad. But she knows me too well, she could tell there was somtething really wrong. She didn't push it though, she sat down next to me and I rested my head on her lap. 

She caressed my nose softly, as my eyes started to close.

"No! It's my turn!" I screamed at Mil, "My doll, my turn!!" Mil wouldn't give it back. I could feel the tears kicking in. "MILODY! GIVE ME MY DOLL!"

"NO" She screamed. "I WANT TO PLAY WITH THE DOLL" I tugged on her hair, and she tugged back. I flicked her arm, and she flicked back. The same thing repeated itself over and over, and my mom had to break us apart. 

Mil left crying. 

"It's alright baby," My mom conforted me that night, while I was panting, she caressed my nose until the tears stopped.

I slowly drifted to sleep.

-------

*Beep*

My eyes opened.

As soon as I realized what that noise meant, I jumped in my bed. I grabbed my phone, hopeful. 

You alright? -Sean 

Its just Sean. I never thought I would ever say that. But yeah, it was just Sean, not Mil.

I slowly rolled myself out of bed, bumping my head on my lamp. I slipped out of the Panda dress I had fallen asleep in, and threw on my favorite blue tribal print Hollister leggings, a cute Brandy Melville black top, and a Brandy crop top that described the moment perfectly:

Stressed, Depressed, but still well dressed. 

Mil had gotten me that. 

I got frustrated as hell when I couldn't get my make up on properly. The thick coat of liquid eye liner, that usually takes me five minutes, took me half an hour.

I would mess up, and whipe it off, mess up, and whipe it off. At least I could whipe something off and leave no trace of it behind. Once I finally got it right, I moved on to the thin coat of pencil eye liner on my lower waterline, then my favorite mascara to brighten things up a little.

I brushed my hair, my teeth, spraied on the One Intersection perfume, and applied my red lip gloss. 

My converse where by the door, where I usually leave them. I grabbed my purse.

It was my favorite Brandy Melville purse.

Mil had also introduced me to that store.

---------

The radio read 9:13am. It was playing Roar again. Maybe, sometimes, 92.3NOW doesn't know what I want to hear. I drove and drove, not sure where I was going.

I first meant to go to Mil's house. But if I really wanted to go there, I would have pulled into her drive way in 2 minutes. Instead, I've been driving for 2 hours. Puling up to the front of her house every 5 minutes, changing my mind, and just driving right by. 

I half parked half stopped driving in front of starbucks. I was a bit dizzy, haven't eaten since last night. I got myself a Vanilla Bean. I was going to get the Nutella Frappuccino, but that was part of the secret menu, and I couldn't get my head around what exactly it was that I needed to ask for to actually get one of those.

Before I got to my own table, I waved to Nancy. Nancy was always there. Every morning. She would come walking in with her cane and shaky hands, get herself a fudge brownie and some hot chocolate (even in the summer), and sit at the far away table in the corner, by the window.

She would spend the whole morning there, and leave at about noon. The sad thing about Nancy was that she was always by herself. You never saw her with a friend, you never saw her calling someone, you never even saw her do anything. She wouldn't go there to read, she wouldn't go there to draw. She would just go there to watch. She would watch people.

She would watch everything and everyone, and one day, she was watching Mil and me. We never said a word to eachother, but we would wave, she would wave back. And it just became a thing. It felt good to know she would be there, it was a feeling of safeness, and we could tell she felt it too.

We never got a chance to introduce ourselfs, but we gave her the name of Nancy, because calling her the Lonely Old Lady at Starbucks didn't feel right. The funny thing about her though, was that she was always smiling. No matter how lonely, how sad and desolated she could feel, she would always smile her no teeth (literally) smile. I was scared that one day I would end up like her, friendless.

I decided to try it. Sit by a table by the window, and just watch.I watched happy couples pass by, cute little girls playing tag, two cute 13 year olds on what seemed to be their first date.

And then I spotted someone, someone I didn't expect to spot. It was way too early in the morning for her to be here. She usually wakes up at 11am, maybe later, if it werent for my wake up texts. Mil was sitting on the bench across the street, having her favorite Starbucks drink, the Nutella Frap.

I didn't think twice before getting up. I waved Nancy goodbye, and walked out. I don't think Mil saw me. But as I got closer to her, I could see she had her phone out, and it was opened to my message.

I didn't say anything, and she didn't say anything either.

Hi -Val

hi -Mil

Are you alright? -Val

I thought over everything, it's ok if u like him Val. U can have him, I don't mind. -Mil

"I dont like him..." I whispered, "I thought he was Sean, Mil! I promise! You know I would never do that to you. It was dark, Mil. I couldn't see. I really didn't know it was Sam, and he never even liked the kiss! He pulled away as soon as he could an-"

She pulled me into a tight hug. I could hear her start crying, I did too. We were just sitting there on that bench, hugging each other for a long while. I didn't even feel time pass.

As soon as she pulled away, she looked at me with her puffy eyes. Her mascara had ran all the way to California (I bet mine ran to China), but she gave me a faint smile. I smiled back.

She pulled out her phone and texted me two thumbs up.

SORRY THAT THE CHAPTERS ARE SO SHORT! I'M WORKING ON MAKING THEM LONGER! VOTE AND COMMENT!! <3 THANKS FOR READING!